88 F150 Engine Trouble

Hey guys I have an 88 F150 with the 300 6 cylinder. It ran fine until about two weeks ago when I backed it out of the garage I had two move another vehicle so then I went to restart the F1250 and it started fine, but as soon as I touched the acellerator it shut down. Kinda like a lean stumble. I replaced the TPI as I was getting some irradic readings from it. No go same problem. I haven't check feul pressure yet but what do you guys think?

Frogman

Reply to
Ralph

Damn I think I would like to see your F-1250. Is that a pickup?

On a Serious note, have you run out of fuel? I can't tell you the number of road side assistance calls I've made when the driver swore it was not out of fuel, yet that turned out to be the problem.

Reply to
351CJ

Dual tanks both full :)

351CJ wrote:
Reply to
Ralph

Followup: There are No Engine codes. The thing is that it runs fine once it is warm. It appears to be running rich when it dies. I think I'm leaning to computer.

Any ideas?

Frog

Ralph wrote:

Reply to
Frogman

plugged passage(s) to the IASC

Fords are bad for this

30 minutes and a can of AutoZone's best 99 cent carb cleaner

yell if you need specifics

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I would not touch the ECM without checking for fault codes. Since you say it seems to be rich when it dies and is primarily when it is cold, I would suspect some other failure like an ECT sensor, a fuel pressure regulator or the MAP sensor. Don't forget there is always the possibility of a loose connection or bad connector which may be indicated by the fact it started to act up when you backed out of your driveway which may have caused the engine to move somehow. BTW. IIRC, the ECT and the TPS are on the same feed circuit which may be why you saw an erratic reading there. You have a ways to go in diagnostics before you condemn the ECM - they are pretty damn reliable compared to the rest of the system.

Reply to
lugnut