'88 Ranger Gas Tank?

It will be the 3rd sending/pump replaced in this tank.I'm thinking of doing it myself to save some bucks and want to know if it can be done without removing the tank?The fuel pump has never failed but the sending/float unit fails.Thanks.

Reply to
Anonymous

You could remove the bed, other than that, you have to remove the tank.

Reply to
Michael O

Reply to
Anonymous

Unless it's rusted on, it's probably easier to remove the bed. Once the bed is out of the way, then you have lots of room to work with. You even have somewhere to sit (on the frame) while you work. If you don't remove the bed, then you'll be working underneath it. Although I haven't yet worked on a fuel tank, I would imagine taking the bed off and having lots of room to work with would be easier than working underneath the vehicle. (you don't have a lift, do you?)

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

For what it's worth, the Ford dealer moved the bed (didn't have to lift it all the way off) when mine was replaced

I.Care

Reply to
I. Care

The problem with removing the bed is that you need sockets that most backyard mechanics won't have. other than that, it's six bolts, that require a lot of muscle to move. If you only lift the bed, you can probably leave the tail lights in.

Reply to
Michael O

Reply to
Anonymous

After removing all of the bolts that hold the bed on, angling it out will be child's play!

Reply to
Michael O

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:35:33 +0000, Michael O rearranged some electrons to form:

a big child!

Reply to
David M