91 Ranger Breather Performance Question

Gentlemen:

I've been debating whether to change out the airbox on my 91 Ranger (2.3L) with a K&N filter or possibly just adding a Tornado fuel saver. Anyone have any advice on this as to preference or even if it's worth doing? Would you recommend for a 1999 Chrysler LHS (mom's car)?

Also, is it feasible to add 4WD to a 2WD Ranger?

Thanks

Jack.

Reply to
Jack M. King

You're best off just leaving them alone. Especially with the K$N thing. It'll ruin your engine from the dirt it won't catch. The tornado thing is a scam also.

Reply to
Steve Barker

What is it with everyone and the K&N filters? The filtration difference is marginal at best and they flow better. The airbox and filter can improve air flow there by improving performance but on a 2.3L what would the difference really be? I don't know anything about the Tornado fuel saver?

You can convert from 2 to 4 wheel drive. I have a couple of friends that have done it with F-series trucks they either had all the parts or a parts truck. If you plan on converting I would also change to a V6 the 2.3L with

4wheel drive will be a dog.

Reply to
James Gillespie

What the deal is that the filtration difference is not just "marginal" . It is great big. No better than an old oil bath breather to be exact. And the extra flow will not make a noticeable (in mileage or performance) difference. Anyone who thinks it does is just trying to justify being ripped off.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Agreed. Strange how marketing and "kids" can build something up - make something really in extruded plastic, and market it as extra h.p. Save your bucks and enjoy what you've got -

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Thanks to all who set me straight on the breather performance. While I'm not a kid (42), I'm really only beginning to become familiar with the make-up and performance of gas engines. Guess I should have paid more attention in high school "Gas Engines" class!!

Jack.

Reply to
Jack M. King

If you would like to see some air filter test results, including a K&N look here. It wasn't the best for filtration, but wasn't the worst either.

I. Care

Reply to
I. Care