94 Ford Ranger Transmission Question

I have a '94 Ranger with the 4.0L, and an automatic. The truck now has

140,000 miles, and there have been no transmission or engine rebuilds, just regular maintenance.

Recently, the tranny has started to slip when shifting from 3rd to 2nd. The transmission starts the downshift, slips a little for about a second, then

2nd will engage. It has been very annoying and I am wondering if the tranny is starting to die.

Two days ago, i was coming to a stop at a light, and right before I stopped (maybe 3-4 mph) the light turned green, so I hit the gas. The tranny shuddered fairly violently as I started, like it was slipping and catching rapidly. I can reproduce this every time.

Any thoughts on how serious of a problem this may be, and what kind of cost I am looking at?

Thanks in advance, Clint

Reply to
DIVO

adjust the intermediate (2nd) band

there are two adjusting screws with lock-nuts on the driver's side..........front on is overdrive band, rear is intermediate

loosen locknut, turn adjusting screw down with a short box-end (3/8 or 5/16) till snug, then back off about 1-1/2 turns, hold screw and tighten lock-nut

if that doesn't do it, its time to consider a rebuild

Reply to
TransSurgeon

Have you ever serviced the tranny by replacing the filter and fluid? Prolly too late now that it is slipping, but there IS a chance...

Andy

NeverMind

I'm pretty anal when it comes to regular maintenance, and I have owned the truck since it was new. Last fluid change was about 9 months ago. It was a fluid swap without dropping the pan, but the filter had been replaced about

3 years ago.

I've used this truck for towing 4,000 lb plus trailers on numerous occasions in hilly terrain, not to mention some pretty serious hill climbing in off-road conditions. I'm actually kind of surprised the transmission has been trouble free for this long considering the hard use I have put it through for a truck of this size. It's been a great truck.

Clint

Reply to
DIVO