95 f150xl or 97 f150xlt

I'm trying to decide between these two. The 95 has 110k and the 97 has

126k. Both going for $2500 and seem to run well and have no rust. I'm not a truck expert so I'm just looking for pros and cons between the two...also opinions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, K
Reply to
geo.nova

I like the '97 for two reasons, better equipment package (more options), and its OBD II compliant, so it's easier to diagnose Check Engine issues.

The XL is a base model that has hand crank windows and probably lacks Cruise Control. The XLT will have electric windows and mirrors, and seats, and a Cruise Control. These things are improtant to me, and if the cost is the same then the newer truck would be a better buy, all other things being equal. Of course, the variants are the things that you do not tell us so you have to decide for yourself which is really the better truck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

What about the difference in engines? 95 is a 4.9 inline 6 and 97 is

4.2. Thanks
Reply to
geo.nova

That's a good question. My '95 Bronco XLT had the 5.8L motor, my brother's Bronco XL gets the 5.0L. My '95 Eddie Bauer also has the 5.8L.

I'm not sure which -- the 4.9 or 4.2 -- is the better motor. I would suggest that OBD II is a better engine management scheme than OBD I, which would add points to the 4.2 to make it more desireable. The 4.2 could be a total piece of crap, and there is no amount of engine management improvement to get over that hurdle, but it could be almost as good as the 4.9, and the added worth of the ODB II could then be a tie-breaker that gives more value. Does that make sense?

I would prefer greater torque if all other things were equal.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland