'99 Ranger Park Brake seems to freeze up?

Today this happened for the 2nd time. I use the park brake every time I park the truck, and today when I released the brake with the little left-knee handle, the brakes did not release. Because I have a 4WD, but in 2WD at the time, I'm assuming the drums are locking up. After I apply some torque from the engine, there is a frightening "SNAP!" and then things rotate as they should.

The first time this happened, I was driving through wet, wet slush in the spring-time. I parked the thing and the weather turned cold. I assumed that there had been water get somewhere and it froze up on me.

But not this time. I parked the beast Monday night and today it was "frozen" up on me again.

Is the braking system trying to tell me something? Should I be dismantling and cleaning something?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx.

HR.

Reply to
Rowbotth

It's certainly worth a look. Any "frightening "SNAP!"" is definitely cause for alarm. I'd have that thing on on jack stands and the wheels off to see WTF is going on..

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I believe there was a TSB about this. The brake shoes swell up with moisture and lock up or drag under certain conditions. If the shoes are original, I would change them and check all related hardware.

Reply to
gw