99 Ranger won't take fuel...

99 Ranger, 4.0 Liter, 4X4 Automatic. Fueling is very, very slow. The fuel keeps backing up the fill pipe and shuts off the pump-handler. Looking up from underneath there is no visible damage to the fill pipe or vent/overflow line. Does anyone have experience or a good guess about what is wrong there?

Thanks.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Starr

Royal pain in the ass isn't it?

Some pumps are worse than others. It is frustrating to know that when the nozzle kicks off you can still fit another 2 and half gallons in there.

vent/overflow

Reply to
bonGOfury

Even when the tank is near empty, the fuel will only trickle in. A blockage of some kind ?

LS

Reply to
Larry Starr

!@#$%^&*&^%! :)

It's the new-fatter-straighter-pipes the handles have on them!

I drive through and look at the pipes if they are the skinnier, bent-in-the-middle kind I stop and buy gas, if not i drive on.

At a family owned gas station I complained to a boy working there and they went though and changed all of them back to the skinny bent ones. :) The fat ones that are only bent near the handle, are just a new style by some manufacturer not an industry standard change is the way I see it. (but don't know shit from shinola)

I worked on my rear (main) tank and its hoses to get it to take and keep(!) gasoline. ;) The factory put the hoses on backwards and upside down for one but there were other problems that I worked on while I had the bed off. One involved that dammed filler pipe going all the way to the bottom of the tank. The only way for the displaced air/fumes to escape was up that skinny little vent tube and wasn't fast enough and after fueled, didn't work worth a damn then either. :/

Fixed. :)

The way I show/mime the new pump pipes, is by making a fist and pointing-out-straight the index finger, then bend it down at the hand+finger joint without benting any other joints... that's the new setup. Straighten the index finger back out and bend it only at the middle joint, that's the old setup. (and where I buy gas! ;)

Alvin in AZ ('75 F150 two tanks that I can get gas in now)

Reply to
alvinj

vent/overflow

Have you owned this truck since new? Is the fill pipe the origional? I had a

1991 F-150 that had the fill pipe replaced with some sort of tractor fill pipe, and had the same problem you have. I never fixed it and have since sold it, but to get through the slowness problem I just did not stick the nozzle all the way in. This tricked the automatic shutoff sensor and let me fill fast. The only problem I had was every once in a while I would over fill the tank! Oops! Cleanest spot on the whole truck. Anyway, those fill pipes ain't cheap to replace. I was quoted at $91 or something. Good Luck

-Curtis

Reply to
Curtis

I agree try not sticking the nozzle in as deep. It used to work on my mom's dodge minivan.

Reply to
pete

my '90 t-bird was the same way, it gagged on fuel unless you left the nozzle out a bit.

Reply to
Hawk