A/C Conversion for 88 F-350 Diesel

I am in South Central Texas and I am having trouble getting a quote from my dealer for an R-134 conversion for the A/C on my 1988 F-350 Diesel.

Has anyone here had it done recently? Who and how much?

Reply to
Wingman

I'm in SC, and I just had my 89 Isuzu Trooper converted - total bill, including labor to replace a blown hose and a custom-built hose, conversion, dryer, and a full charge, was about $275.

I don't see why the make/model/fuel type would make a difference.

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

I'm just outside Austin - if you're around here, don't go to a dealer. Any decent AC shop can do it for very little. I converted an Exploder a couple of years ago myself with parts from Autozone. Let me know if you're close to Austin and I can recommend a couple of places.

JH

Reply to
J Harris

Well, in my case, the conversion was only $25 over the cost of fixing the system and recharging with R12... Worth it.

--Kamus

Reply to
Kamus of Kadizhar

At NAPA we have a couple of ways to do it...there is the $27.99 conversion kit that only requires the system to be evacuated of the old R12, and then some adapters be screwed onto the charge ports and put in oil and R134a...that kit even comes with a charge hose and three cans of R134a refrigerant. However, that kit make me a little nervous. I'm kind of leery of it because of the possible affect of R134a on R12 o-rings, seals and fittings. Another way that we have is what they call the "Pro Kit" It comes with all the conversion seals, o-rings and charge fittings, along with a small bottle of pag oil. That kit runs anywhere from $30-$40 depending on application. R134a and charge hoses sold seperately. That method requires having the system evacuated and flushed at you local A/C shop.

Hope that helped...

Later... Grant Speed Kills...Drive a Honda, live forever...

Reply to
Forcefan83

On 17 Jun 2004 13:44:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Forcefan83) shouted from the rooftop:

I did the pro kit on my 89 Crown Vic. Worked great. I also replaced the receiver-drier with the 134a one- it's a lot smaller and prevents flashover.

Never drove a VTEC Prelude or an second- generation Acura Legend, have you?

-Carl "If you don't have enemies, you don't have character"-Paul Newman

Reply to
Carl Byrns