AC Condensation?

I'm looking at a new F350 King Ranch 4x4 Diesel Duelly.

We went and drove it yesterday afternoon and returned to the dealership right before closing time, so I'm pretty sure that the truck wasn't moved or even started after we left.

This morning we went back over there to look it over again without benefit of the salesman's presence.

There was a lot of "water" coming from the right side of the truck just in front of the cab where I typically expect to see A/C condensation dripping.

Was this A/C condensate still dripping from this brand new truck after sitting for 15 hours, or does it have some kind of leak? The water on the ground was clear, but seemed slightly oily when rubbed between my fingers.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

It was from the AC. It wouldn't have dissipated over night under the truck. Mine does the same thing. I have a'99 F350 7.3L PS Dually. AC will make it cold enough to hang meat in there. I love it.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Sometimes when conditions are right, some ice will even form on evaporator and will greatly extend the drip time as it melts.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Ice forms in an undercharged system. Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Was it actually dripping in the morning or was it just the puddle?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

It forms in normally charged systems too sometimes at lower blower settings and when humidity is not that high. (It take a lot of energy to condense water out of air and when less of it is present the core will get colder than normal especailly with lower airflow rates). Ever since my 89 burb was new it would tend to freeze up in these conditions and especailly at higher altitudes on long trips if blower was not set on at least 3. Back in the mid 70's and before they used to use a thermostatically controlled expansion valve that would prevent this but today they are fixed to reduce costs and they try to manage it with the cycling of compressor but it does not work as designed 100% of the time and ice can still form at times like above.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I've never seen that in an R-12 system, or R134A, but I have seen it in R-22 type home systems, but never in a vehicle, unless it was low on refrigerant.

I won't say you're wrong, though.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Then you have not seen much because I have seen it a lot. It will not happen in city driving but it can on extended trip in the correct weather conditions. When humidty is low, the core can get colder and start to form ice even on a hot day with lower air flow rates but you will not know it until it gets to the point that it looses the abilty to effectively cool the air passing over it because of ice bluid up. If the build up is minor to moderate, you may never notice it but it leaves a sign in the form of very extened drip times.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

It was actually dripping at a pretty good rate at about 9:00 am Sunday morning. We had returned to the dealer after the test ride at about

5:00 pm Saturday afternoon.

Shoot, my Dodge Ram should pull so much water of the air - this Ford was dripping more than I've ever seen from the Ram and 16 hours after the truck was shut down!

I did some looking around on the Ford Truck forums, and they were talking about the steering stabilizers, but this didn't fit that problem, the water is coming from above the frame.

That leaves A/C condensation. So now my concern is that if the truck is retaining water, there may be a blockage in the drain system?

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

If it was still dripping, then it had been started anew right before you got there.

But, in any case, it was not leaking.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It was Sunday morning and the dealership was closed.

It was leaking. Monday, we went back over to negotiate for the truck and I had them send a service guy out to the lot. He tried to convince me it was A/C condensate until I dared him to taste it ;-)

At that point, we both noticed that the coolant reservoir was almost empty.

They put it on a rack and found that one of the heater hoses was loose at the firewall.

They fixed it and we drove the truck home later in the day.

Greg Proud owner of a new F-350 King Ranch Diesel Dually!

Reply to
Greg Surratt

Congrats, Greg!

You'll enjoy it!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I'm sure. Thanks.

Almost kind of sucks that I've got that monster sitting in the driveway and I have to go to Hawaii for a week.

Life is full of decisions!

Keep my job? Drive the truck? Keep my job? Drive the truck? ...

Greg

Reply to
Greg Surratt

lol, you'll figure it out!