Aftermarket Hitch or stay with Class III Bumper Hitch?

Hello all,

I have a 96 F150 4x4. The owners manual classifies the bumper hitch as Class III. I, like everyone else has seen twisted bumpers on trucks because they were pushed (pulled) beyond their capacity.

I will be hauling a 7500GVW dual axle trailer; not clear across the country or anything like that, but want to make sure that the trailer won't get left behind nor that I'll end up with a disfigured bumper. Just looking at the current bumper, there does seem to be quite a bit of metal and it does attach solidly to the frame.

Other than the variable hitch height that I get with a Class III aftermarket hitch (i.e., Hidden Hitch or Draw Tite), what do I gain by not staying with the existing bumper hitch?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Reply to
Cromwell

If you regularly tow anything over about 1500 lb., you should use a proper hitch to the frame. This gives you a much stronger hitch as well as being able to control the coupler height to properly level the trailer.

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks for the input. I agree with your comments, but am also looking for a bit more clarification as to the Class III designation:

Wouldn't you think a Class III is a Class III whether it is the standard bumper hitch or an aftermarket? As mentioned in original post, other than the height adjusting benefit, what might be the other points of paying another $125+ for an aftermarket Class III if you already have the Class III with the bumper hitch that is in fact already substantially attached to the frame? Ford designates the current bumper hitch as Class III.

Thanks again.

Chris

Reply to
Cromwell

A class III bumper hitch? Are you sure? I am not saying you are wrong, it is just that my 2003 bumper is definitely not class III. I have the Class III towing package on my truck and it included a Class III receiver hitch.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

My F150 bumper is all twisted because of multiple rear end incidents.

The bumper on mine is rated 5000/500 so it should be the same on yours. The aftermarket unit will allow the use of a receiver with equalizer bar attachments which bumps the rating to 7500/750. It's actually classified as a class 3/class 4 hitch.

Strength isn't the concern. It has more to do with sway handling and keeping the vehicle level. With a trailer that size I would say that you need maximum sway control.

Reply to
gil

I think you might be confused with the owners manual......it is probably refering to an optional "factory installed" hitch. I have never seen a bumper with class III ratings....go read the bumper near the hitch..it will tell you the toungue weight limits (usually 200 lbs)...or something very light.

You should get a class III hitch and never pull anything with the bumper.

Reply to
jason

Well, let's see, I have several additions to add:

One replier asked me to make sure I had a Class III, I did and I do. This particular truck has an optional (I thought it was standard, but apparently not) step bumper.

The owners manual states:

"The optional step bumpers have a built-in hitch and only requires a ball with a one inch shank diameter. This step bumper has a Class III capability (5000 lb/2,270 kg trailer weight and 500 ob/680 kg tongue weight)."

Again, there truly is a substantial hunk of flat iron underneath the center of the bumper and it bolts directly to the two frame members. I do believe it is capable of handling the weight.

I must say though that I believe the comments below from gil do have merit. I guess the strength is there, just not the control I might need. Anyway, my new appreciation for control plus the capablilty for hitch height variability directs me to add an aftermarket hitch and be done with it..

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Chris

Reply to
Cromwell

If this is in fact the bumper you have, you still need the frame mounted hitch with the adjustable hitch head.

With the trailer you stated you have, you will be over the gross trailer weight rating and most likely 2 to 3 times the tounge weight rating when hitting bumps and dips in the road. I've never seen anyone tow with that type bumper that didn't tear the bumper up or lose the trailer - or both!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

the correct ball height. TG

Reply to
TG

You can turn sharper. You'll notice this more than you think, especially backing into that camp site (or whatever).

Reply to
Joe