Any products that will improve V-10 fuel mileage?

More BS, Mark. Your naturally aspirated engine looses 10% of it's power for every 1000 feet of elevation above sea level it operates at, PERIOD. An engine with a turbo or super charger, does not suffer from that same dramatic power loss, period. It is an atmospheric density issue not a slope or grade issue.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Well, since this thread has degraded into yet another diesel vs gas argument, I thought I'd address the mileage issues.

I run an '02 F350, V10, CC 4WD long bed with 4.30 gears and 35" tires. Mine is also my daily driver and I average about 9.5-10 MPG - BUT, I don't drive it like an old lady.

If I drive it where the RPM never tops 2000 RPM, mileage will get very close to 12MPG in the city and well over 14 on the freeway.

The best way lo keep mileage up is keep the tires properly inflated, front end properly aligned and go easy with the right foot. Keep the oil changed at proper intervals and just basically keep the vehicle properly maintained.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

BUZZ! Sorry, wrong answer. Thank you for playing.

Many oil companies have been shipping the ultra-low sulfur diesel that meets

2007 model year requirements all summer. You fuel up in a Flying J and even though the sticker says you can't use the fuel in 2007 MY engines, it's still the ULS fuel. This from a friend who manages the Flying J in Saginaw, MI.
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

BS right back at you. At 4,000 feet on level ground, a gas powered truck will have no problem. Throw in some rapid tansitions up and down some steep hills at this elevation and it will start to have some problems when compared to a turbo charged vehicle.

Reply to
Mark Jones

Do you have any clue what you are talking about, Mark?

Your naturally aspirated 362 Horsepower V-10 has only 237 Horsepower and the Torque drops down from 457 to 300 at 4000 feet elevation. That power loss is real and doesn't have anything to do with the workload you are asking of the engine. The Powerstroke Turbo Diesel with 325 Horsepower & 570 Torque suffers no loss of power at higher altitudes.

Please think about your statements and perhaps do some research before you respond with more of this nonsense.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

This statement shows your total lack of understanding on this whole matter. First there are no altitude problem in pennsylvainia you need to go to Rockies for that. Next axle ratios have EVRYTHING to do with towing power of a gas engine. A 200 HP 5.7 will towed far better with a 4.10 than a 310 HP 5.3 with a 3.73. If you want maximum towing power with a gas engine you need to be at or very near you peak VE (Volumetric Efficiency) or torque peak beacuse for one you will produce the most HP hours for the less amount of fuel used when under a heavy load. A 300 HP motor with a 4000 RPM torque peak does not make a good towwe at 2500 or 2600 RPM at 60 or so. THey keep getting more impressive HP rating at 5000 or higher RPM but you do not tow at that RPM. I detriot would stop the HP wars and focus more on negine that peak torque at 3000 RPM or so and sell truck with 4.10 and 4.56 gear option with the gas motors and OD, diesels would loose a lot of there luster. A ford 5.4 or GM 6.0 would surprize you what it would tow well with a 4.56 axle (they used to come with up to 5.13's years ago and before there was OD trannies) but Detriot would never do that because they need to help convice you that you need a optional 5 or 6K engine, not a cheap axle ratio option. How in the world did I manage so well

30 years ago driving a C70 triaxle chevy dump with a 427 and a 20 speed hauling 20 tons of cargo??? It did a fine job and was actually one of the perferred setups in that day and could hit and hold 60 to 65 MPH without beng floorboarded too.

Because every one else was doing less than 80 duh, Are you that slow on the draw???

Never said it would get better MPG but I did say that it could pull anything you could and cost lees to buy and maintian. Did I also mention that if you areone to watch your legal GVW of vehicle that you can carry 500 to 700 lbs more cargoe with a gas motor because the drive train weighs a lot less? I'll bet that escapes you too. YOu know some fool tried to adapt diesel to aircraft long ago but the had a poor power to weight ratio, reliabilty issues, and problems in the tempature extremes that they had to operate in too so they scraped it.

Nope not lots of them at all, very few sold and they were a lot weaker than gas motors. It was not till mid 90's and turbo charging did Detriot start to push them and cheap fuel and cheaper option prices then hepled too but it is not a cheap option and fuel will never be cheaper again so worm has turned. If you like them fine but do not spread the BS that they are a must have because you can be done without them.

No doubt about it. lie if you want but you are threaten that youego is going to be bruised because you are not supreme with your oil burner. Yep no doubt about it.

You better do more research, I have asstma and my inhaler does not have R134 in it and never did. typical BS

Different chemical problems but you would know that is you had any real knowledge on this. The problem with R12 and R12 is not down here on the ground, it is when it breaks down in to chorine atoms in upper atmoshere and distroys Ozone. (it tkaes several years to get there from ground (longer than the usefull low maintaince life span of a new oil burner)

Not it is not but you are a expert here, when you have to be one place durring the week and another on weekend you have to make do. Beside you side stepped how they where dumping oil burner because the big blocks gassers ruled for them.

Sure I do, well over 11K because they had problems at times with tires on 5200lb tandum axles not cutting it for long even with best tires and max pressure. I conviced a few of them to upgrade to heavier axles and tires and problems subsided. I would not even own a cargo tandum with out at the very least 5200's and 6 or 7 K axles would be better still

Give your BS elsewhere in this thread you have a ego issue so you would never admitt otherwise. I had a freind that had a new 7.3 PS (one of last ones made) and towed the circut with it. Man was he upset when he saw how lousy the MPG was towing with his custom 50K CC dualie

6 to 7 MPG around 80 and to make matters worse the guys with big block could leave him if they wanted too. He dumped the truck after a year when he got tired of feeding it and sucking hind tit. .

Lets compare apple to apple, compare a non turbo oil berner to a non turbo gas motor, no contest, gas kicks it butt, Next a gas moter built for 6 PSI boost and a oil burner again no contest, oil burner gets but kicked and so on. To make any power on of a oil burner you have to use

2 to 3 times as much air volume and more to make it and deliver 10 times the NOx polution while doing it too. Make a oil burner meet the exact same requiment for emissions as a gas engine then see what happens as performce will suffer greatly

Sorry to burst your buble but you are in error as usual they jsut started to tighten them in 2007 model and every guy the chips his oil burner turns it in a a major NOx factory

They have to if they want a Ford because the gas ones caught on fire (GM ones never did) so they stooped making them

I pulled horse for many years without them with no problems with the proper gas truck

So yes with ego problems like yours. I have a firend to bought one a whiel ago and now he wishes he never did because it is not saving him any money like people like you told him it would . Between namaintain purchase price and fuel cost he is lossing money over a like gas truck

Depends on trucks. Most use a oil burner because they are very heavy and hrlp ballast front end in 1 ton models, not because you need it for power, lot of gas one arouf here so they sdo not have to worry about making calls at 20 below or colder without keeping it plugged in or be taken out od action from fuel waxing. When I lived where 40 below was common nobady plowed with a P/U with a diesel, they parked them for winter.

This it not the same as automotive because those are constant speed opertions mostl and most of them are very mildly turbo charged too. BTW, I can and have run Dozers, backhoes, grades and track loader quite well and I remeber one old track loader (a CAT955) in 70's that had a gas pony motor on it to start in in cold weahter because it would never start otherwise

Again not them same as a daily driver at all and a veru limted RPM range on engine too

Yes you BS list goes on but you are labeling the wrong fool here

No surprized at all by that comment because again you are clueless

Factory makes mistakes and they are call recalls when people fuss enough about it (;ike ford catching on fired from cruise control switch (that was a stupid again from day one)

Why should I waste my breath

You are buy them at the wrong place because I pay 3 bucks each for my spec'ed plugs.

No it has not been, if they were so great there would have been no need for a major rule cahne in 08 , removing sulpher and having detriot scramble on how to deal with it. Example Chysler stopped putting a oil burner in 07 Liberties because it could not meet 07 let alone 08 regs

You did not learn much then

Not likely.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Who beside you mentioned anything about an "altitude problem?"

And my 180HP diesel with 3.54 gears tows better than any of those at much lower RPM which equals less wear and strain on the engine.

You just don't get it do you. I don't want to tow anything with a gas engine. It's a huge waste of time and resources.

This is nonsense. You keep harping about taller gears and then claim that higher RPM is bad. How do you gear an axle lower and not spin the engine faster?

No it wouldn't. I might be a bit shocked however at the amount of fuel it swills.

Yeah, well, it isn't 30 years ago, is it? You're a luddite, plain and simple.

Seems you're a bit slow on your BS. If he was passing everything in site, he'd have passed you also. How can you "caught and passed it" when he's passing you?

How in your convoluted way of thinking is fuel economy not part of cost to buy an maintain?

Nope, doesn't escape me. The other thing that doesn't escape me is that that 500 lbs extra cargo capacity may not matter to everyone, so the question then becomes, do I choose 500 lbs of cargo capacity that I'll never use or better fuel economy, better acceleration, lower operating stress, better reliability, no emissions tests, etc.

There are a number of diesel aircraft engines available, could you be more specific?

My point exactly. <sheesh>

Gee, that would be the what, Oldsmobile gas engine based 5.7?

As I stated before, the diesel option cost me nothing because the diesel engine holds its value better than any gas engined version. Bought the truck last June for $15,000, drove it for a year, sold it this June for $15,000. Same truck with a gas engine would have lost a couple of thousand dollars in that time.

Again, diesel was cheaper than gasoline this summer, just as it was last summer, and no doubt next summer. Given the difference in BTUs per volume and the inherent efficiency gains of a diesel engine, the fuel cost differences have to spread quite a bit before there is an -actual- deficit.

I don't own an oil burner anymore Snocone, so whatever doubts you may have are sadly misplaced.

There's no doubt that your reading comprehension is non existent.

YOUR asthma inhaler doesn't have it. Doesn't in any may prove that it's not used.

<cough> Bullshit. Your real knowledge is what? You claim to have gone to college for engineering, you obviously flunked out and now plow snow, cut lawns and haul manure for a living.

R12 and R12?

Would you like to be 609 certified, I am licensed by the state of Wisconsin to teach the certification tests and issue diplomas you know. Now, tell us what your above gibberish about ozone and chlorine atoms has to do with putting HCs in your AC system.

It's not hard to learn.

Already explained that. It's always downhill on planet Snoball.

You know, I've met 8 year olds who comprehend better than you. Again, slowly; You-have- no-way-of-knowing-how-much-that-trailer-weighed. But I will tell you that we had no problems with tires, axles or any other such things. Comprende?

Well, so far, no one else has claimed that I'm lying. Surely there are some diesel owners here that would chime in, don't you think?

Did you work on it? That might explain a few things...

Who currently sells a non turbo diesel in a 3/4 ton truck?

Who currently sells a boosted gas engine 3/4 ton truck?

You seem to like making comparisons of mythical trucks that do not exist on the market. You look to be desperate, not to mention absurd and ridiculous.

You claimed diesel NOx equals ten gas engines. I proved you wrong. Stop exaggerating.

Hey shit fer brains, I worked at a Ford dealership in the late

80s, did plenty of ambulance recalls, it wasn't just the gas engines, and for your information, it was the coolant hoses that were opening up and causing the fires. And FYI, GM didn't have any market share in the ambulance market, still don't.

Why do you think everything is about you?

This isn't about me either.

Hogwash.

What year(s) were you living in -40 weather again?

Of course, nothing has or could possibly have changed since the

70s.

Yeah, so? You said it was all about gears. Since they have access to so many gears, why don't they use gasoline instead since it's cheaper, more powerful, needs less maintenance, etc?

Nope, right fool. BTW, the regulars over in the dodge truck group are still waiting for your explanation about the knock sensor on the V-10 engine, you know, the one that was never installed.

Has nothing to do with aluminum. Again, you're relying on outdated information and trying to apply what you don't know to an entirely different failure.

Got nothing to do with the installation, aluminum, cruise control, recalls or people fussing. Take a year or ten, get up to speed and then we can continue. Clearly this is all going right over your head.

Because you've made a claim. Now back it up.

Because you drive old crap that specs a $3 plug. No missfire monitors 17 years ago, was there?

Sulphur is not NOx <sheesh>

And this proves your claim that a diesel has 10X the NOx emissions how?

This isn't about me.

Make up your mind...

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Average HP loss per 1,000' of altitude (regardless if it's from high temps or actual increases above sea level or a change in barometric pressure is about 7hp. As such, your claimed <>130 HP loss from 4,000 feet is inaccurate.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 18:52:21 +0000, SnoMan rearranged some electrons to form:

Scraped it? I guess they used a gasket scraper.

Snowblower, as hard as it may be for you to believe, you might be wrong...

One of many a simple search will uncover.

Reply to
David M