Brainbox?

I have a 1975 F-100, while taking the doghouse off, I noticed three electrical boxes, one near the radiator, I forgot what its called, but im thinking that's the one that tells the alternator where to send what juice, how much of it to where(had the condenser looking thing on it), the other two I don't know what they do, one is very small, about 1"x1" has I think three wires coming out of the box, held on by one screw, on the passenger fender about midways, have no ideal what it does? and the other is a large one on the drivers side, looks kind like a brainbox? if it is a brain box, what exactly does it do? if its not a brain box, what is it? Thanks in advance...Gary

Reply to
gsams

"gsams" wrote in news:c3rDc.102491$Hg2.100929@attbi_s04:

drivers side one is the electronic ign box. and the voltage reg you identified, don`t know what the little one is for sure. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

thanks for the info, I'll hit the books to find out what the very small one is, what exactly does the electronic ignition box do? just tell the coil when to spark? or am I wrong?

BTW, I read you have some 360's, I got one that runs in an old 60's model ranger, it worth saving to do anything with? or am I better off sticking with 351's?

Reply to
gsams

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 04:17:36 +0000, gsams rearranged some electrons to form:

Yeah, that's what it does. Electronic points.

Reply to
David M

It's worth saving, even if all you do to it is trade out the guts and make a

390 out of it. FE blocks were poor on gas, but the one in my '75 F-100 had over 300K when I rebuilt it. Sadly, I no longer own that truck.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd

I have heard that more than once about the 360's being bad on gas, *how* bad is it? I'm guessing I get near 20MPH on my 300, maybe 18MPH right now, but I think I could get 20 or more MPH after I tune it up and put my newly reworked head on. Anyone have the factory specs for a 75-ish F-100 on the MPG? Be nice to know what they are expected to get? anyone know? Thanks in advance

Reply to
gsams

I forgot to ask on my other post, is a 360 and a 390 like a 305 is to a 350? I've used everything from a 305 and made a 350 before, as far as I know a

305 is the same as a 350, cept bigger pistons? maybe the stroke is different? any info is better than none.
Reply to
gsams

I had the four speed with the granny gear, with a 2 barrel, and got 12-15 mpg.

YMMV.

Plasyd

Reply to
Plasyd