Buying a new to me Ranger

I'm looking for a new to me pickup. I'm wondering how the older "84 - '90 Rangers hold up. I don't need 4X4 but it never hurts unless the system is prone to problems. I'm just wondering if I will have lots of repairs of if these are pretty bullet proof. Looking for a 4 cyl but 6 would be nice. Also wondering how the AT holds up or would I be better off with a 5 speed. My spending limit is about $2k so I'm limited to higher mileage trucks.

Thanks for your reply

Reply to
matt waters

Cool question, post your answers here ok?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

I've had two

An 86 and an 88, both 2WD, both 2.9's, both automatics.

Both very driveable, responsive, the A4LD shifts almost like a 5-speed with the torque converter lock-up; every Ranger that I've seen comes from the factory with a good-sized auxiliary transmission cooler, but you may want to install a larger one if doing any towing.

Should have kept the 86 (extended cab) easily the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned

Sold the 88 cause it was too short for my 6'-4" frame

The 86 suffered from a major problem when driving at higher elevations; the ECM would only adapt about 7000 ft worth of altitude, and above about 7500 ft, the performance got worse and worse

Going over Monarch Pass (11,312') west of Salida, CO, I was in 4th, then

3rd, then 2nd, and seriously thought about low.

The problem manifests itself as a slight 'bog' of the engine, then it picks up; about a 5-6 second cycle-time, very rhythmic. As you get higher, the bog gets worse, until above 10,000 feet the engine is nearly slowing to idle before picking back up.

I tried all the known 'cures'.............floorboarding it to get the MAP sensor base reading re-set, even pulled off and started/stopped it a couple dozen times, nothing seemed to help.

I don't know when this problem was corrected......I do know that if you order a replacement ECM for an 86, they will ask if it's calibrated for 'baseline' or 'high elevation'.

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Reply to
Pete

My ex-85 was ok for a while. Never passed emmisions tests. replaced the timing belt twice, and clutch twice. transmission was fine. the 2.0L was a bit under powered.

The worst part was the transmission crossmember rusted out as did the floor on the drivers side. Junked it at 190K and 13 years.

It also had the paint probems of many

GH

matt waters wrote:

Reply to