Cruise Control 94 Ranger V6 - Haunted?

Last fall the cruise control just flat out stopped working completely. I did as much under the hood checking as I could, and looked around the net/asked questions/etc but the only thing I came up with was that each of the major components of the cruise control system was more than I was willing to pay at the time.

Couple of days ago, just for the heluva it, I hit the on button and the cruise button, and wadaya know, the damn thing was working like the day it rolled off the line - 100% of its functions were there.

Now I might be jinxing it by pushing the point, but has anybody out there had a similiar experience?

Reply to
K R Larkin

You may have had a loose connector that made contact when you jiggled it.

Reply to
GFRfan

yip, i have a 94 v6 4x4 ranger with cruise & NO airbag & i had interment cruise functionallity. i did some diagnostics & found the contacts between the steering column & the stering wheel were oxidized & green. the contacts are made of copper & coated with a dieletric grease. green from the copper (just like old copper roofs on old time buildings).

disconnect battery, remove the steering wheel, clean contacts with varsol, then rubbing alcohol, remove oxidation with fine sand paper or emery cloth 600 grit, clean again, apply dielectric grease, reassemble.

if no air bag, there will be 3 contacts with 3 contacts rings, clean the rings, the contact pins weren't the problem, the rings were oxidized, etc.

if air bag,pull battery, you'll have a clock spr>K R Lark>

Reply to
na