Disable anti theft

Is there a way to disable the anti-theft on a 2001 Ranger? The owners manual says turning the key to position 4 does a "manual disable" but it seems to re-enable it when you turn the key back to the lock position.

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Netman

Just for curiosity, why would you want to disable it?

Reply to
sidewinder

He may have a large Rotweiler that likes the truck.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

He probably wants to NOT have to buy a $40.00 key if he loses one. If you disable anti-theft then you can use a regular cut key from Wal-Mart to start the vehicle. However, there is no way to disable this. Its built into the computer.

Reply to
pkurtz2

I also wish it could be disabled at owner discretion. I have never in 45 years of driving experienced a theft. I always lock the door and put the keys in my pocket just like my dad taught me and avoid places where I should not be as much as possible. I do not like the idea of force security measures any mor ethan I like standing in line to be frisked and questioned like a commom criminal just because I bought my ticket with cash.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

You have either been very lucky or you live in an area that is safer than most. You don't have to leave your doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition to have your car broken into or stolen. Cars theft occurs in every part of every urban centre.

Stephen N.

Reply to
Stephen N.

That sure is the truth, spoken with fond memories of a '86 Shelby Dodge Omni GLHS that someone liked more than me, right out of my driveway, in a good neighborhood.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning