Driving with hubs locked

I recently purchased an older F250 with Warn locking hubs. Is there any problem driving with the hubs locked for extended periods without being in

4WD?

Ed B. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Ed B.

There will be no operational problems, you might experience slightly less fuel economy (if you have the 460 you didn't buy it for fuel economy anyway). I've been driving my '02 Super Duty like this for the last week because my hubs in the auto position would disengage on their own, so I switched it to "lock." At the dealer now getting looked at. Will never buy another truck with automatic hubs...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

AMEN!! I just had Warns put on my Ranger, and the automatics removed. What a nice feeling of security, knowing that they work! (And that they will not engage whenever they want to ...) -- pj

There will be no operational problems, you might experience slightly less fuel economy (if you have the 460 you didn't buy it for fuel economy anyway). I've been driving my '02 Super Duty like this for the last week because my hubs in the auto position would disengage on their own, so I switched it to "lock." At the dealer now getting looked at. Will never buy another truck with automatic hubs...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
pj

no, other than a bit of fuel wasted spinning the parts up front.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I have a 2001 F250 with the same problem, the automatic position does not work at all. The last time I had the dealer fix them, he told me a vacuum line was broken. They worked for about a month, now not working again. I do not like to drive with the hubs locked in, too much tire wear, and very poor fuel economy. When I first asked about the problem, I was told if you go in reverse it disengages the hubs (when in auto position), but my problem was just disengaging whenever it feels like it, going foreward, backward, really didn't matter. Sounds like I have the same problem you guys have.......

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Tire wear shouldnt be a problem as long as your transfer case is in 2WD. Hopefully, you havn't been driving around with the T-Case in 4WD!

Reply to
Rob Munach

Tire wear will be a minor issue. The fronts tend to cup on the outer edges if you drive with the hubs locked. If you rotated the tires it will negate this. It is a good idea to drive any 4x4 with the hubs locked to circulate fluids which wet the seals even in the summer. Generally a couple miles, a couple times a month is good enough. As to the original question. Reduced mileage, increased wear on the front end, and other little drawbacks. but I guess someone should have asked if your talking about on sunny days going to and from the grocery store or are you talking about when it's snowing and you think you might need to throw it into 4x4 mode?

Reply to
pete

What makes the tires cup with the hubs locked? The resistance of turning the front diff and driveshafts can't be that much.

Reply to
Rob Munach

I have had this same prob with my 2002. It stopped working one weekend when I needed it and when I took it in, they did not find a problem with it. When it was finally detected by the dealer, it was an electrical problem. Was not told exactly but it worked then. Now it seems to only work now and then. I notice when the problem starts, my ac fan only blows out the top. Maybe if enough of us write to Ford, we can get a recall on this problem. I have had some success in the past with a '91 Explorer.

Jeff

Fred wrote:

Reply to
SuperDuty

It is a vacuum problem that is causing your A/C and your 4WD to malfunction at the same time.

weekend

backward,

Reply to
Tyrone

The Super Duty hubs are vacuum operated, I agree with Tyrone. At least you can lock them in manually. My '02 was just finished at the dealer today, problem was a bad vacuum seal in the right side hub. I'll get it back tomorrow, since we're getting 3-6" of new snow tomorrow I should know pretty quickly if it's fixed.

matt

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo