explorer 2001 bleeder screws frozen

Just a note. I am working an explorer 2001 and the b leeder screws are giving me a fit. I have stripped the hell out of two trying to ge thtem out and ended up changing one caliper. Whats up with that?

Reply to
ed

I often use a socket to initially break them loose. Doing that, I've never stripped one. Also, there's no reason to replace a caliper just for a bleeder screw. You can buy replacement bleeder screws at the parts store.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Use a small brass rod and a hammer and tap each one on the end a few times to loosen it up some, then use a 6-point socket to unscrew them. I've used that method on many a vehicle with great results. As for the ones you've stripped ( and I assume you mean "rounded off" ), use a 6-point socket that's slightly smaller, maybe even a metric, and hammer it on to the bleeder and quite often they can be removed that way. Good luck!

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom" <sc

I ended up using a cool new socket tool that Sears has for rounded bolt heads. I got the one in like 20 seconds. The one that is frozen deep in the caliper, let me tell you, it is FROZEN. It wouldnt budge even with Kroil, PBBlaster, heat, drill, easy out, hammer. It was worth it to just switch it out. I could have really heated it more, but then I wouldnt trust it after that.

I replaced them once I got them out. That Sears removal set though, pretty darn cool.

Reply to
ed

I'll have to check that out. Thanks! SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom" <sc

I use a sharp center punch to the side of the boss of the caliper where the threads are for the bleeder screw, it distorts the steel just enough to break them loose. Combined with the other suggestions in the replies I already see here they aways come out.

Reply to
Bob Statkus