F-250 Highboy Power Steering Problem

I have an 1977 F250 4wd highboy. The steering is seized and I'm having a hard time finding parts. Mechanic says it needs the "two power steering units and the hoses". I already have a new pump. He also said I could easily convert it to manual steering. But I think I'd regret that before long.

Symptom: When truck is cool I have steering. After it runs awhile I can't turn the wheel. Once it tightens up I have to wait a day. When I start it up I have to really work the wheel to get it the steering going. Then it's OK for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour, when it seizes up again. Also, I think there was fluid leaking from one of the grease fittings.

Any suggestions before I do anything?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John

and here is with pics..

fluid leaking from one of the grease fittings?

That doesnt happen, or shouldnt. Can ya snap a pic of it? if so send it to djdave at bigfoot dot C0M

Reply to
djdave

Hi Dave-

Replaced all four steering hoses last week as per your suggestion. So far so good. Used it for a full day on Saturday. You're great!

Thanks for the advice.

John

Reply to
John