Ford Expedition 97

#1 I am having vibration problems at speeds between 30mph & 70 mph. #2 If I hit rough road or bumps the steering wheel shakes & vibrates. #3 The car has been in to bmw and had new discs and pads, lower rear bushes, new steering column lower and upper and a new set of 18" alloys and tyres, the shocks were replaced, wheel balancing & allignment was preformed. Even after all of this was done the vibration is still there. The steering wheel aggerates the bumps and also wanders. PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU!

Reply to
Kievlyanka

Can you be more descriptive of the vibration. Do you feel it in the steering wheel? How about when you are braking? Even new tires can be bad (broken belt).

Did you have them check the tie rod ends and idler arm? Both can be problem areas for a 1997 Expedition.

Have you tried rotating the tires (front tires to the rear, rear tires to the front).

Are you running the proper air pressure (OE tires were likely to be 35 psi, have no idea what the correct pressure is for the size you are using now, probably 35 would be OK).

You probably should have the runout checked on the wheels. Some alloys are bad from the factory - particularly if they weren't designed for that vehicle. The 1997 Expeditions were intended to have hub-centric wheels. This means the wheels are supposed to be centered by the raised machined boss at the center of the hubs and not by the lug nuts. Aftermarket wheels are not necessarily designed for this type of mounting (or require the addition of centering rings). If you are using the wrong type of wheels, it is possible they are not properly centered on the hubs.

Is the vehicle 2WD or 4WD? Some 2WD 1997 Expeditions had problems with vibrations from the driveshaft (see Ford TSB 99-15-7 JUL 99 Drivetrain - Vibration/Shimmy Above 45 MPH). It seems unlikely that this problem would not have been corrected long ago, so I doubt if it is your concern.

I suggest you join the Expedition Owner's Mailing List, and pose your question to that group. See

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White