Ford F350 460

I have an 1986 ford F350 with a Coachman Motorhome chasis. I am experiencing problems every 5 - 7000 miles in that the engine dies - like it is getting no fuel - then cuts back on and backfires about 4 - 7 times and then stops. I have changed the carburator (holly 4 barrell) changed the fuel pump, all filters and the ignition module and it still does this. Right now it did exactly what I said and I cannot get it to start. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be the base problem for this. I have taken it to four (4) ford dealers and paid up to 1800 dollars to get it fixed and each time they tell me they do not know what they did to get it running again. I have a local mechanic who is stumped onthe siutation. Thanks

Reply to
tondeb

The fact that it won't start makes the diagnosis infienitely easier than an intermittent problem. Get it towed to your dealer or local mechanic and they should be able to diagnose it.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Better still, get the mechanic to come to the vehicle rather than giving it a shake, rattle, and roll that *might* fix the problem on the way to the shop.

For some reason. things always work in the shop.

Reply to
Bill Vajk

In both instances - 1. I took it to a dealer when it was not running and they charged me $1800. to tell me they did not know what was wrong. The seond time - again not running it only cost $800 - in both those instances they changed multiple items - fuel pump - ignition module = PCV Value - carburator and once eventhe plugs and the distributor - each time it came back and ran for about 5 - 7000 miles and went south again. This last time the mechanic came to the scene, before it was towed and he could not get it going and is not sure what is happening. It still does not run - and is fuel sparce - we cannot hear the fuel pump running so it is either broken or not getting power. Several mechanics opt for it is not getting power, but they cannot determine why or what the source of the problem is. There is an emergency fuel cutoff switch and some think that it may be faulty - we are going to change it when the new part comes in.

Reply to
tondeb

[...]

Fuel pump grounding is always a good suspect, especially where the problem is intermittent.

Reply to
Bill Vajk

I have learned with less then competent dealers (most of them) who find and fix problems by replacing parts, That if you tell them they can replace every part on the car at their own expense But "You" will only pay for the item that fixes the problem. The get a lot more serious about fixing the problem.

I have had just under $2000 worth of new useless parts put on at a ford dealer, that he got to eat the cost of, because I had told him "He could replace every part on the car, But I wasn't paying for anything that does not fix the problem (after he replaced all of the items that he could under warranty, still not fixed, and then he wanted me to start paying for the parts)...

It ended up being a bad motor mount, like I asked them to change when I brought it in 8 visits earlier and a total of nearly $5000 later counting what was covered under warranty and the 2k the dealer ate...

DON'T take their shoddy workmanship and don't pay for a fix you don't get.

That is fraud, If you stipulate that you are only going to pay them to fix that particular problem, you don't have to pay for all their other incompetence...

Reply to
351CJ

I had the same thing happen. What I found was dirt in the gas line that would get pumped up to the fuel filter by the carb and then when the eng was turned off the dirt would go back down the line and sit at the lowest part of the line. I just took the line loose from the filter before the carb and put a hose on it and ran it into a jar then turned on the electric fuel pump and boy did I get a jar full of junk. Truck runs better then ever now.

Ron

t> I have an 1986 ford F350 with a Coachman Motorhome chasis. I am

Reply to
Ron