Ford factory trailer brake controller

I am curious if anybody here has the factory installed Ford trailer braking system. Both my 2005 F-350 and my son's F-250 Super Duties are equipped with this system and we both have a bit of a problem with it.

The brakes work well when towing at speeds above 10-15 mph and require very little gain for smooth stops. The manual control works well to set the gain and thereafter the trailer is in sync with the truck braking system. However, when the truck is stopped, or at very low speed, such as doing the "tug" test on the fifth wheel, full gain is not sufficient to stop the truck from pulling the trailer. Full gain on the controller produces just a very light braking action, not enough to lock up the trailer brakes. Again, at speeds above 10-15 mph, the controller works fine and can lock up the trailer brakes if the gain is set too high.

I suspect it has something to do with the fact that, unlike an inertial braking system that uses a pendulum or weight to sense braking of the truck, the Ford system is tied into the truck's computer and senses actual speed and master cylinder braking pressure to produce the appropriate output.

I've looked for any information on the 'net without success and have had the Ford dealer check the truck's VIN numbers for any recall or TSB's and there are none.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch

Yes, just got back from 2000 miles of western towing a just about 9000 pound

5th wheel with my 2005 F-450 Diesel, Factory brake controller. My gain was set at 6. I hardly knew the trailer was back there, around the curves or up or down the pases. I LOVE IT!

Your new factory brake controller is state of the art. It is functioning as designed, and you certainly are not having a problem with it.

~ It gets information from the vehicle's anti-lock braking system (ABS), engaging a different trailer braking strategy during vehicle ABS operation for improved control.

~ It knows the actual braking pressure, measured inside the vehicle's master cylinder, to know how much braking force the driver means to apply.

~ It adapts trailer braking based on vehicle speed - no aftermarket controller knows the tow vehicle's speed. It knows your vehicle speed and responds accordingly, under 20 miles per hour the trailer breaking is dampened, so you don't get the standard grabbing/stuttering of every other brake controller on the market. And in your case you can't drag your trailer around with the brakes locked up, well unless you do it at above 20 miles per hour.

Good luck

Reply to
351CJ

I don't mean to be a smart ass but with those two trucks surely you can afford a mechanic.

Big T.

Not meant to be a smart ass answer but,

  1. Both trucks are brand new and under warranty.
  2. To date, Ford has not officially acknowledged that there is a problem.
  3. Dealership mechanics don't fix trucks that aren't broke.

Eisboch

Reply to
Eisboch