FX4 Off road specs

Other than skid plates, shocks, and a decal, are there any differences between a Ford 4X4 and an FX4 Off Road designation? Thanks...

Reply to
XLanManX

2003 or 2004? In 2004 it is whole different trim level. In 2003 it is an XLT with 4x4 goodies. I have a 2003. In addition to what you list you get 3.73 limited slip rear-end and 17 inch wheels.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

I have a 2003 F250 XLT. I chose the 4X4 rather than the FX4 because I wanted to avoid the increased height and harsher ride of the off-road package. However, for those rare occassions when I go off-road, I'm going to add skid plates and more appropriate tires. I already have the 3.73, so it sounds like I'm in pretty good shape as long as I keep my off-road forays reasonable.

Reply to
XLanManX

I origionally planned on getting the 4X4 (not FX4), but I got a great deal on an FX4 that was on the lot. As for the 3.73 rear-end, I am pretty sure it comes in both limited slip and non-limited slip. You should check to make sure you have the limited slip version. You can tell by the axle code on the door jam sticker. Mine also has the towing package so I have a transmission oil cooler and some other goodies for that package (4 and 7 pin wiring, etc).

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

differences

I have a 2001 Ranger with the 4x4 Off Road package. Thats the same as the FX4 L II up until the new ones from what I understand. Mine has a 4.10 rear end with LS. 4.0L v6, towing package (class 3 hitch and tranny cooler), 16 inch wheels, skid plates, aluminum driveshaft, Bilstein shocks....

Anyway the newest ones are slightly different but at least for the first year the FX4 was around it was the same as my off road package. Regular

4x4's don't have the skid plates and such...

BD

Reply to
BD

not true, you can option for skid plates on the 2004 4x4 and you don't need the FX4 trim or off road package. On the 2004 F150 lariat the the skid plates for a regular 4x4 is MSRP $160.00. Also, I have a 2004 lariat 4x4 with the skid plates, 3.73 limited slip axle and P275/65R18 A/T tires.

Reply to
Perry