gas smell in oil

I have a 1984 f150 4x4 with a inline 6. It has almost 300,000 miles. I just bought it for $500. It works ok but i think the carb needs some work.

It has trouble runnning until it fully warms up, it seems that the choke is getting stuck and it starves for air. When its not starving for air, its drowning in gas. running too rich, i think... It also gets terrible milage (7-8mpg)

My biggest worry is that the motor oil has a gas smell to it. Is this related to my carb problems or is it something more drastic.

should i rebuild my carb?

Craig in Wyoming snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
camel_TOE

If the carb is really rich, and the rings are worn, you will get loads of blow-by that will contaminate the crankcase with gas. Fix the choke and adjust the carb. Then change the oil. If the problem persists, check the rings.

Reply to
Reece Talley

I'm running the exact same motor in my 86 4X4. The first thing I would do if I was you is do a compression test. If a few of the cylinders are low try squirting oil in the spark plug hole and re-testing...If the compression goes up to normal (mines around 90, It's got 310,000Km on it too) then you know for sure it's the rings and not a problem with the valves. One of my cylinders was really low (50) when I squirted oil it jumped up to 90, needs rings. But the truck still runs good. As for the choke, I had that problem too...mine had a tube that came from the exhaust and heated up the coil that opens the choke...if something goes wrong, (pluged, rusted, other..) it will not fully open. Mine would run so rich you could see black smoke from the exhaust. You could try fixing it, or for 10 bucks you can buy a manual choke adapter kit that worked like a hot dam for my truck.

Nic

Reece Talley wrote:

Reply to
Nic

The OP says his truck has 300,000 miles, not KM. Big difference. Yours is roughly 200,000 miles. Still respectable.

:
Reply to
Mellowed

What about the fuel pump?