Glow Plugs 7.3L Ford

I have a 1989 E350 7.3L Diesel and i seem to have some glow plug trouble. i have searched posts for glow plug problems but, while ive found plenty of posts, havent had any luck on my prob. anyway here's the problem:

---what happens for two weeks now in 75 degree weather:---

turn key to glow plug position,

hear a click,

WAIT TO START light comes on,

few seconds later (usually between 8 -10, depending on ambient temp.) WAIT TO START light goes off

hear several intermittant clicks,

crank and start engine JUST FINE BUT ONLY FOR 4-5 SECONDS!

---what happens now:---

turn key to glow plug position,

WAIT TO START light comes on and stays on for 5 seconds then goes off

try to start, engine cranks but doesnt start for 30-40 seconds- if at all. I've tried waiting, heating the glow plugs several times before starting, etc. Every time the engine starts fine the first try, then always fails every time for the thirty seconds of cranking.

any help would be appreciated... the shop manual does not cover the diesel models very well, espeacially GLOW PLUGS.

Reply to
teachergregory

One thing you left out is, how does the truck run after it starts?

Reply to
Doc

Try asking on "thedieselstop.com" ... those guys know their stuff.

Reply to
websurfer

I don't think it's a glow plug problem. The ambient temp outside is plenty warm to start the truck without the glowplugs preheating. I think you have a fuel delivery problem (or lack of it) of some sort.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Just because the " wait to start " lite comes on doesn't mean the glowplugs getting power

Get your testlite out and check relay

Reply to
JohanB

I just tested the plugs and they are getting power. The truck runs great after it is started up the second time. This is purely a starting problem. What is diesel fuel additive, and should I use it?

JohanB wrote:

Reply to
teachergregory

Reply to