HELP: 97 Ranger 5-speed transmission behavior

My 97 Ranger does the following, always only when it is hot. It does not want to go into ANY gear, but if you rev up the motor and let off, you can feel it "slip" into first gear if you maintain pressure on the stick while holding the clutch in. My questions is, does this mean the sychronizers are gone, or is it more likely the bushings or "cones" or whatever that can be fixed by taking the top cover off the transmission? I have found out that you can get a reman transmission for this for $770 (shipping included). Hell, I spent more than that getting the clutch and slave cyl. replaced. This truck only has 90k original miles and is in like new shape otherwise.

Reply to
oily_boot2

Sounds to me more like the clutch is not releasing completely, unfortunately prime suspects would be the master and/or slave cylinders.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging properly or fully.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Sounds like a clutch dragging problem. (Not completely disengaging.)

Al

Reply to
Big Al