Help Me Diagnose This Possibly Dangerous Problem

I have a Mazda B-3000, 1994. I've posted about this truck before.

The truck has been meticulously maintained as far as a person of the female persuasion who knows nothing about cars can. In June, a chance stop at a new garage (since closed, or I'd take it there) turned up so much play in the left front wheel, while the truck was running up on the lifts, that the mechanic told me I really needed ball joint repairs ASAP.

Otherwise, he said he "never saw a truck so dry at this age." He let me stand under the car and told me beside the ball joints, everything was in definitely acceptable shape.

I loaned the truck to a brother-in-law who knows less about cars than me. I've seen him drive it before, and he hammers it even if I'm in the passenger seat. He didn't know about this stop at above garage and calls two weeks later and says "Don't you take care of your truck? Your exhaust system's totally gone. Your 'undercarriage' is SHOT!!!" I take truck in to chain muffler place and get it replaced up to the catty. Brakes and brakes lines were new in January. One new, one good front shock.

Before Ernesto this weekend I visited the back BACK woods. Dirt road ruined by June floods. Half-mile in, half-mile out. I drove five, eight MPH tops. When I finally got back to pavement, a vibration was so bad I thought the wheel was ready to come off. Vibration is not constant. Gets unbelievable upon acceleration, so I drove without accelerating. When I don't accelerate, the vibration stops. But yesterday I started the truck, and without even taking it out of Park, it was vibrating like a washing machine.

I think I'll part it out. But I know I'll never own a truck again and if I knew what might be causing this, I'd spring for the fix. If those guys from Northeast PA who were here in the spring read this, could you remind me where the garages were you suggested? I need a new windshield too and also someone who could slap some Bondo on the wheel wells.

I never knew how much I love this truck until now. Thanks.

Reply to
pennsylady2002

On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 04:38:44 -0700, pennsylady2002 rearranged some electrons to form:

So, did you take that advice?

Shocks should always be replaced in pairs.

Obviously, if you need a new windshield, and you bashed in the fenders, you did more than "I drove five, eight MPH tops".

Is there more you want to tell us?

Reply to
David M

No. I thought I'd ride the truck out until it legally expires in January. After I posted here, I Googled this group, and looks like this is going to be major orthopedic surgery.

Didn't know this either.

What happens in the Poconos *stays* in the Poconos. :) Seriously, the fenders were Bondoed and repainted when I bought it, and it's been ungaraged in the mountains two years. The windshield cracked when I washed the truck with my pressure washer.

Reply to
pennsylady2002

If you had ever seen what happens when a ball joint fails, you wouldn't drive it another day. Your truck is unsafe and if you don't wish to fix it, it should be parked.

Reply to
Advocate

It is, sir. Thank you for taking the time to show your concern. I consider myself fortunate to have not been killed, the more I read about how dangerous this situation is. Have a nice Sunday, you deserve it!

Reply to
pennsylady2002

...don't matter how much you love it, it is time to put it out of it's misery.

john

Reply to
asadi