How much weight on ledge in Ranger bed?

I built a wooden frame to sit on the ledges so I could carry stacks of rigid plastic sheets that are 4' wide as the floor is not wide enough due to the tire wells. I hauled 200 Lbs with no problem, but I wonder what the load limit is on the ledges. They seem to be stamped in to the side sheet metal. I don't know if there is any supporting structure behind. Thanks bg

Reply to
BG250

I have no direct experience or specifications to provide. But I have observed that the sides tend to bow out at the top in older trucks, especially those with the tailgate removed. So I would fabricate some rigid support at the back and middle between the top of the two sides before you get deflection.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Good idea. You might consider making rails with a vertical "peg" of some sort that would fit into the stake pockets to keep the sides from bowing outward. As far as overall weight is concerned I would worry too much about that as to how much stress you're putting onto the bolts that hold the bed to the frame when you go around corners with a lot of weight. How high do you stack this stuff anyway?

Just when I figured out how to get the toothpaste back in the tube they come out with this stripped stuff!

Reply to
Ernie Sparks