Mystery module

I have a 96 F350 4x4 w/ 5.8L and no air conditioning. While underneath my truck replacing the tie rods, I noticed a module a little smaller than my hand mounted just above and behind the bumper, below the headlight that I couldn't identify anywhere in my Haynes manual. It's got a handful of wires in a rectangular connector and goes to the main harness that runs over the left headlamp, so I wasn't able to connect it to a specific function. What is it?

Reply to
carl mciver

Sounds like the crash module, that's not it's technical name, I forget what it is called technically.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:07:36 +0000, Spdloader rearranged some electrons to form:

Air bag sensor?

Reply to
David M

| > Spdloader | >

| | Air bag sensor?

The truck is an XL, which means there are no extras on it, which means power nothing and vinyl seats and floors. I needed it to transport my then very young family, as I can take a water hose to it when I need to clean it out!

The impact switch for the fuel pump is in front of the right passenger door in the usual spot.

Anyway, there's no airbags.

Reply to
carl mciver

Nope, I believe it's some sort of crash sensor, but I don't remember what it does.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

air bag sensor

be vewwy, vewwwy carefuww awound it

E. Fudd

Reply to
TranSurgeon

They're putting sensors on when he has no air bags?

Reply to
Al Bundy

If it's a 96, air bags weren't an option, they were a government mandate. He has a driver's side airbag.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Nope, no air bags. The F350 came from Canada, but to meet US specs it would have to have them installed. Believe me, I've had a couple opportunities to have it blow if I had one..... IIRC, the half ton trucks had a different set of rules, whereas the heavier you got the later you got to implement.

| |

Reply to
carl mciver

Carl, Get the numbers off of the sensor and call a dealer parts counter.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

It is either the Daytime running light module if you have them or the shunt for your headlights if you don't have DRL's

Mike

Reply to
Mike Keith

| | It is either the Daytime running light module if you have them or the shunt | for your headlights if you don't have DRL's | | Mike

It does have DRL's, being a 96 from Canada. I suspected that was a possibility after finding it in the wiring diagram, but it seemed to me that the connector had more wires than the diagram seemed to imply, although the diagram tends to have option pieces all over the place.

Reply to
carl mciver

The module for the daytime running lamps for some models is located in that spot.

Reply to
invalid unparseable