No air in '96 Ranger!

I have a 96 Ranger, in which the air [hot/cold] have decided to die in the middle of winter. There is no air coming out of it what so ever, fan does not come on. When I switch the control from "off' to let say the "vents/feet", I could hear the clutch being engaged on the A/C compressor, but still no air. I changed the motor blower and the climate control switches in the cabin. Still no luck. Can anyone help me get some heat in my truck? Much appreciated.

Reply to
adeshsingh78

Did you check the fuse for the blower motor and relay? The a/c clutch does not get its power from these fuses, it gets it through a different fuse. There is a 40A (#6) fuse in the Battery junction box, and then a blower motor relay in "Relay Box #2". Both of those are under the hood, on the drivers side. There is also a 7.5 or 25A fuse (#6 it looks like, possibly #3. Use your owners manual to figure that one out.. LOL), in the fuse panel that is used to energize the blower motor relay (BMR). I would think it would be 7.5A more likely.. Its hard to tell in the EVTM online.

I would check for power at the blower motor on the pink/white striped wire with a turn signal bulb to verify power (remember key has to be on). If you have none or the light isnt super bright, go after the two fuses first, and if they are good, jump the relay pins 3 and 5, those are your load connections (use atleast a 12ga wire to do this). If that causes the fan to come on, then try to ground pin 1 of the BMR which is a red/orange striped wire. If you can ground that wire and it still doesnt come on and the fuse is good, and worked with the load connection jumper in, then you have a bad relay. Time to change it out.

One thing to remember is that Ford uses ground side switches on the climate system, unlike chevy that uses power side switches (or atleast they used to). That means that by replacing switches you think something is wrong with the ground, not the power. I would also pull the resistor pack (right below the blower motor) and see if everything is intact there.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech