Odd Speedometer Problem

Greetings and Salutations... I recently acquired a 1999 F-350, Powerstroke, with about 99,000 miles on it. The truck is in really good shape except for a couple of minor problems. First off, the driver's side backup light appears to NOT be getting power. I have not poked about to find out if it is a fuse problem, or a wire problem. however, that is not the real "problem"...just mentioning it for completeness. The odd thing is that in the past couple of weeks, there have been four times times that I have fired up the truck, and, everything has worked except the speedometer. The needle has stayed dead and the odometer has not moved. The First time it happened, I thought "oh no...expensive replacement...and a pain while it is out". Then...I discovered that if I turn the truck off and back on, the speedometer wakes up as normal! I have poked about on thedieselstop and a few other places, but other than some indications that it might be a sensor going bad, have found no similar problems mentioned. While I could be wrong, it seems to me that if it were a sensor dying, it would not wake up when I restart the truck... I have not tried getting the codes read yet, although I suspect I should, just to see if the computer has anything useful to say... In any case, just throught I would post here to see if anyone ELSE has run into this problem. Regards Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

Could just be flaky. Do you get an abs light with that? If so, you need the sensor in the rear differential, an easy replacement of a $25 part. If you don't get the abs light, I have a feeling it is some other computer-based issue that could be a bugar to track.

Reply to
Chris Hill

*snip*

No other indicators that I have noticed. All the lights pop on then turn off as normal on startup. The only way I know that something is amiss with the speedo is when I roll out and the needle does not move. I think that the NEXT nice day I have a little time, I am going to crawl around the truck and reseat all the connectors I can find. If it is something making partial contact, that should take care of it. Regards Dave Mundt.

Reply to
Dave Mundt