On the way to the water pump

Hello all,

Any tricks to disconnecting the misfire sensor connector? The alternator is seriously in my way to get at it. Funny the shop manual has neglected to show the latter - no doubt for clarity ;)

Anyway, the wiring harness will be in my way unless I detach it, or perhaps the unit to which it connects. Suggestions/cautions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab

Bill Schwab wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Can't you just remove the alternator?

On my Ranger I had to at least move the A/C compressor out of the way. I believe I was able to keep the alternator installed, but obviously it's a completely different engine, and my point is that you may have to move some of the accessories out of the way or remove them altogether.

Sorry I haven't been able to offer much help specific to your vehicle - only what I know from doing the same work on another truck.

Reply to
adambomb

Adam,

I thought about that, but it would not fully solve the problem, as the connector/sensor still has to be removed to allow the wiring harness to "let go" of the water pump. BTW, connector is off and the pump is now "loose" but it appears that I have to remove the thermostat cover to remove it. Even if I could do this with the thermostat in place, I would hate to think of positioning it with the gasket and sealant sticking to everything as I fumble my way past the thermostat. Note that I replaced the thermostat not all that long ago, so I had planned not to mess with it. No big deal, I can use the practice.

That's ok; I appreciate the input. You are indirectly reinforcing some of the other improvising I have done.

About the sensor, I talked to a few people and heard words like screwdriver, pry and pull. On placing a jeweler's screwdriver in the connector, I heard a click, and the connector was released. It dropped a small plastic tab, which looks like a solid rectangle connected to a slightly larger rectangle with a rectangular hole in it. From what I can see, it is not broken, so could it be intended to be pushed in place after the connector is inserted???

Bill

Reply to
Bill Schwab