Any way to keep the 12 v outlets ON on my Sienna?

I love my 07 Sienna van...but....the interior 12 volt outlets go off when the key goes off.

I know the reason ( to prevent battery run down if something is plugged in)...but...I would far rather take a chance on leaving something plugged in and running down the battery..over..having my Garmin GPS and my external XP radio go dead EVERY single time I jump out of the car for a few minutes. The battery back-up in each of those devices doesn't last long enough.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. I did read the manual but couldn't find any re-programming or other fix. thanks, Rich

Reply to
rich

You'd have to cut the wires from those outlets and reroute them to a constant hot power source, being sure to buy and install an inline fuse in the new power line. The old wires feeding the outlets would, of course, need to be safely terminated so they didn't short out against some metallic part under the dash. Electrical tape is a lame solution for any of this work, in case that was the first thing that came to mind. Only crimp connectors are appropriate and there are no exceptions.

If this sounds like a daunting task, you may want to pay a reputable mechanic or car audio installer to do it for you.

What happens to the GPS or radio when their backup batteries die? Do these devices lose all their memory settings?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Cutting wires is usually not a good thing, especially when all you have to do is unplug the connector from the back of the receptacle.

Crimp connectors, while acceptable is some applications, are not always the best solution. Scotch lock connectors are also acceptable, and a soldered and insulated connection is the best.

Reply to
Ray O

There are 2 possible approaches to what you are trying to achieve. The easiest one would be to use a slide-in fuse terminal tap on the load side of the dome light fuse and power an additional 12 volt receptacle mounted under the dashboard somewhere. By tapping the load side of the fuse, the receptacles are protected by the dome light fuse. This leaves the original wiring and receptacles intact and the modification is very easily removed.

The other possible approach is similar, but instead of mounting an additional 12 volt receptacle, you unplug the wire harness from the back of one of the factory receptacles and use an insulated female spade crimp connector wired to the tapped fuse on the back of the factory receptacle.

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry, Ray. As much as I love you, you're wrong. Crimps, applied with the right tool, are always best, and there are no exceptions. No debate is possible. Scotchlocks in a pinch. Solder is good, but the insulation leaves too many things to chance if an amateur is doing the work. Heat shrink? Sure, if the installer knows enough to check for sharp points on the soldered connection. Many don't.

Because the OP asked the question, we already know a lot.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

No. You're wrong. But, have a beer. Right over there ------> in the fridge.

I could dangle your entire house from a properly installed crimp connection.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Why would someone cut a factory wire harness and install even a properly installed crimp connection when all you have to do is unplug the connector from the receptacle? How many people have the proper crimpers for insulated and uninsulated crimp connectors? How many people know there is even a difference?

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:jc2dnaNmxcojdFHanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I think the operative phrase here is "proper crimp connection". How many people know how to do that? I've seen way too many crimps that were badly done (dirty, loose, badly formed, insulation caught under the crimp, too much pressure, etc...).

Welding is the best type of body repair. But a bad weld can be dangerous. Anybody can weld, but how many can weld /properly/?

Reply to
Tegger

If he'd asked, I would've given him a link to a nice crimper tool. He'd have a good reason to buy another tool. More tools are always a good thing, and this one would be useful for electrical work around the house, too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in news:zBbzj.5415$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

I'd like that link.

I have a feeling my two crimping tools aren't very good. I can't make a "roll" type crimp like my factory connectors have.

Reply to
Tegger

Used to be you could buy a good one from a Mac Tool truck, but not any more. I have two of those. One is locked up with my guns, in case a household helper loses the other one. :-)

If I were going to buy one today, it would be this, from Panduit, who also makes the best crimp connectors I've ever used:

They make others - search for "crimping tools" at the site.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Ray, thanks for the help. From what I've found (using your first suggestion) does this device appear to be the right choice??

As I understand it, I plug this device in ( probably using an unused fuse receptacle since I don't have --heated seats--- etc. ) ... I now would prefer running the wire to a new double cigarette plug receptacle ( leaving the original factory receptacles alone)...

Where do I safely run the other side of the female cigarette receptacle wiring to? I presume it goes to "ground" somewhere. What might be the best place to lift a screw, put a round terminal on the wire, and then replace the screw?? thanks Rich

p.s. Is the Sienna a negative or positive grounded vehicle...(not that it matters for what I am doing, I guess).

Reply to
rich

Try turning on the interior lights with the interior light switch. MBMS

Reply to
Mike hunt

If you mean the rocker switch, near the middle of the dash..that has OFF DOOR ON..that doesn't do it. Is there another one? thanks Rich

Reply to
rich

Hi,

Have you approached your dealer with this problem? I have a Sienna now, but my previous minivan was a Dodge Grand Caravan (ugh). The Dodge had available a simple plug-in relay to replace the existing relay to the cigarette lighter outlet, to keep the outlet "live" even with the key off. Who knows, maybe Toyota offers that too.

Good luck.

Mort

Reply to
Morton

The tool in the link is for NON-insulated crimp sleeves. The OP would need insulated crimp sleeves. I have a Klein crimp tool for non-insulated crimp sleeves that makes a nice rolled crimp. Klein tools are available at electrical supply houses.

Reply to
Ray O

Yes, the taps in your link are the ones I was describing. You can usually find them with the fuses at auto parts stores. Use a female insulated spade connector to hook on to the tab that protrudes from the tap. To install the tap, pull a fuse from an always hot fuse like the dome light and use a test light or volt meter to see which side of the fuse receptacle has 12 volts and which side is dead. Put the fuse on to the tap and install the fuse and tap so that the tap is on the side of the fuse receptacle that was dead. That way, whatever you power off of the tap is protected by the dome light fuse. Run a wire from the female spade to the center of the accessory plug receptacle. To ground the receptacle, run a wire with a fork-type connector on the end to a support screw under the dashboard, or look for a screw that already has ground wires attached. Slide the fork under the screw head and re-tighten the screw, and connect the other end of the wire to the negative side of the receptacle.

On the Sienna, ground the negative side of the receptacle.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ray O

Turning on the interior lights with the interior light switch will not power the accessory plugs in the Sienna.

Reply to
Ray O

Unfortunately, Toyota does not offer such a relay.

Reply to
Ray O