Power steering 73-79 ford F100

I'm attempting to put power steering in a truck that originally had no power steering. pretty much I know how to do it, just I was shocked to hear I needed a new steering column to go with the swap? was told the steering gear box was a different size, needed steering column from one with power steering to compensate for the different length? Any help is appreciated, Thanks

Reply to
gsams

Yes, you were told correctly....the power steering box is 2 inches longer than the manual steering box, so the steering column has to be 2 inches shorter to compensate for it. You can either swipe a column from a PS-equipped truck or shorten your present column's shaft by 2 inches. You'll also have to get the firewall bracket, since the added length of the steering box means the column goes through the firewall at a slightly different angle, so your old bracket won't work.

There's a tutorial on adding power steering to the '67-'72 range of pickups at

which will give you all the details, since the two eras are virtually identical. In fact, I'm currently in the process of putting a complete front end (steering, suspension, brakes) from a '79 into my '67. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Keith

Reply to
Keith

I've got a 78 f150 4x4 supercab sitting here that hasn't run in over a year: 351M, PS, PB, 410 gears, C6:

I don't know what the parts you're looking for will cost of if what I've got will work for you, but the first $500 can tow it outta here: even if I could afford to fix it, I can't afford to drive it right now (child support is #$#@!$#!@$#@! killing me!) email me if you're interested.

Decoy

gsams wrote:

Reply to
Decoy

WHERE do you live? did the 4 wheel drive work when you last parked it?

appreciated,

Reply to
gsams

appreciated,

Thank you for clarifying that up for me, and thanks for the additional information on the firewall bracket. I would have got cheated out of the deal. I'm paying $125 for everything, gear box, pump, brackets, and column, plus hoses and belt, basically everything needed from one truck to another. Thanks alot!

Reply to
gsams

Doh! sorry - Phoenix, AZ And the four wheel drive worked fine at last use - in May 03, I got it through emissions & on the way home she just quit. No spark - suspect either wiring harness or the distrib jumped a tooth (had one of those damn drive through emissions places adjust timing.) I know she needs fuel lines (& probably fuel pump), and the tranny was refusing to go into drive until run for a few minutes in reverse.

I probably put over $20k into this truck over 10 years - but I lost my career in 02, am now working in a call center and child support just caught up with me. $500 is an outright steal, but, on the other hand, I may loose my home in the next 2 months & then I'd just have to leave her sit for the scrapyard - I'd rather see someone put her to good use!

gsams wrote:

Reply to
Decoy

If you where within a few hundred miles I'd be on my way to get it. I'm near Louisville, KY, it would be unpractical for me to tow a truck that far. Its a shame your not closer, I am actually looking for a ext. cab 4 wheel drive =[

Reply to
gsams