Question on F350 brakes

I need some expert opinion on a brake problem I experienced with my 01 F350 DRW [4x4, Longbed, Crewcab, 7.3PSD and auto tranny]. The truck has 33600 miles and hasnt exceeded gross weight of 11.5Klbs in hauling. The other day I was stopping for stop light. I was slowing from about 45mph and wasn't slamming the brakes. When I hit the brake pedal I first noticed a grinding sound from the rear which I figured was worn pads on the rear. This was the first I heard anything or has any warning the brake pads may be bad. At about 15mph the brake pedal hit the floor. No, I wasn't standing on the pedal, I had plenty of room to stop, until the pedal hit the floor. I slamed on the parking break and heard more grinding. I finally did stop without incident and made it to a parking lot. On the way it seemed like the rear brakes were on as there was a noticable drag on the truck.

My questions. Why did the rear brakes wear out at 33600 miles? Ford uses a front biased brake system design. Why didn't the front brakes engage instead of me hearing the grinding of the rear brakes? Why didn't have any additional warning the rear brakes were bad or going bad?

The Ford dealer said the repairs weren't coverd under warranty as brake pad wear isn't a warranty item. I think there is something else wrong besides just worn pads. Also, they said there was a problem with my front brakes but that was spearate from the rear brake issue. The front brake problem is covered under warranty. On top of this, when I went to pickup the truck, they said they had threw the bad parts away, so I have no idea if what they replaced was really bad. I'm no mechanic, but my gut is telling me things just aren't right with my brakes and the service center I took my truck to. Any thoughts from those with more experince/expertise than me? Thanks Brent

Reply to
<rbg13

First of all, you should've told the dealer to begin with that no repairs should be done without your explicit authorization, especially anything that would require you to spend money. Heaven only knows what went wrong, maybe the proportioning valve if it has one. You have to watch these dealers and make everything clear in the beginning.

Reply to
Chris Hill

Just as a reference point, my '99 F350 SRW CC 4x4 has 77,000 miles on the original brakes. I live in the mountains and pull a 14,000 lb 5th wheel. Clearly I'm easy on the brakes and they have to work. No way should your truck have had a problem with only 33000 miles. There has to have been a component failure somewhere causing the rear brakes to do must of the braking.

Reply to
Mellowed

rear disc drakes. you lost the pedal because the piston popped out of the caliper and jambed against the rotor,causing the seeming drag .33k miles is in the window for pad replacement, though it is a bit low.

Reply to
Falcoon

Reply to
Susan Ravan

First I want to thank everyone who replied. I truly appreciate your advice and opinions. I think I'm going to call a couple other service centers in the area and get their opinion on what could've gone wrong with the brakes. If it was the porportioning valve, then I think I have a case to call Ford direct on the warranty. I'm pretty sure that most of the braking is still done by the rear; it just feels that way when I brake, no forward dip or anything. Thanks again!! Brent

Reply to
<rbg13

Yeah - I agree Joe - the only thing I can think of that caused the pedal to go to the flow is a blown master cylinder. With the dual brake systems, even if on goes, the other will stop you - albeit a hell of a lot slower - and as far as I know, the pedal ain't gonna go to the floor. Sounds like you found one of those less than reputable dealers - not that there are any of them out there! You may want one of your local dealers or mechanics check it out Brent - one that you trust. Good luck with it.

Papa Don

Reply to
Don

I know of two F350 DRW owners that've had the driver's side rear caliper sieze...neither lost pedal, however.

brad/texas

Reply to
B2723m