Ranger / B3000 Front Main Seal

I have a MPV with the 3.0L motor that should be the same as they put into the Ranger / B3000. I have a leak that looks as if it is coming from behind the harmonic balancer.

It looks as if the motor has to come out to take the oil pan off so that I can get to the crank bearings and front seal. Is this correct, or is there another way? Is the front seal a two-piece or one-piece affair?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

usually one piece and pressed into the timing cover, but wait for an informed response.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Okay, that makes it sound like I can do this job in my driveway. Basically, pull the pulleys and balancer, and remove the timing cover? This can be done with the engine in place, right?

There's still an issue with the oil pan though. The cross member is in the way of taking it off.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It really depends. On a small block Chevy for instance, you still need to drop the pan slightly to remove the timing cover. Other engines I've worked on you don't. I have no knowledge of your particular engine...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Damn you! Build me up then let me down. I knew a girl like that once.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You didn't say what year you have but assuming it's the same as a 92 Aerostar with a 3.0 here's what my Repair CD says about it.

Crankshaft Pulley/Damper/Front Oil Seal

Removal

  1. Disconnect battery negative cable.
  2. Loosen accessory drive belts and remove.
  3. Remove four pulley-to-damper retaining bolts.
  4. Remove crankshaft pulley.
  5. Remove damper retaining bolt and washer.
  6. Remove damper from crankshaft using Crankshaft Damper Remover T58P-6316-D and Vibration Damper Remover Adapter T82L-6316-B or equivalent.
  7. Pry seal from timing cover with a flat-bladed screwdriver or other similar tool. Use care to prevent damage to front cover and crankshaft.

Installation

  1. Inspect front cover and shaft seal surface of the crankshaft damper for damage, nicks, burrs or other roughness which may cause the new seal to fail. Service or replace components as necessary.
  2. Lubricate seal lip with clean engine oil and install seal using Damper/Front Cover Seal Installer T82L-6316-A and Front Cover Seal Replacer T70P-6B070-A or equivalent.
  3. Coat crankshaft damper sealing surface with clean engine oil. Apply RTV ESE-M4G195-B using Rotunda RTV Dispenser 021-00031 or equivalent to keyway of damper prior to installation. Install damper using Damper/Front Cover Seal Installer T82L-6316-A or equivalent. Install damper attaching bolt and washer and tighten to 145 N-m (107 ft-lb).
  4. Position crankshaft pulley and install attaching bolts. Tighten attaching bolts to 32 N-m (24 ft-lb).
  5. Position drive belt(s) over crankshaft pulley.
  6. Check drive belt for proper routing and engagement in the pulleys. Adjust drive belt to specification. Refer to «Section 03-05», Accessory Drive.
  7. Connect battery negative cable.

NOTE: When the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the EEC processor relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the strategy.

  1. Start engine and check for oil leaks.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Did you look to see if a one of those thin metal balancer fixer

puppies is available? It is a very thin sleeve you tap onto the balancer to fix a groove, and of course it is a couple thousanths thick.

Might be all you need.

Reply to
Scott