Re: Bronco 4X4 Hub HOT

I agree with Steve, tear it down, rebuild/repack. It could be low on grease and the increased friction could be causing the heat.

Good luck!

My son's 1989 Bronco front left hub (part that sticks out with the hub > locking machanism) gets hot after a short while of driving. Too hot to keep > my hand on. > First suspected sticking brake caliper. Caliper is much cooler than hub. > Jacked up front end and spun wheels - they are both free so I don't think it > is sticking brakes. > > Last time hub was in 4x4 mode was back in February when I got stuck in a > snowbank. > > No characteristic noise, smell, pull or shimmy - just the hub is hot > > He bought it used two years ago, can't tell you exactly how long it's been > getting hot but guess about a month or so. > > Any thoughts??? > >
Reply to
IanCT

Thomas Moats

The rotor was not as hot. The outer part of the hub was. If I rebuid one I will do the other )just makes sense). Anyway, if it still gets hot I'll look at the caliper. Thanks all for replying.

Reply to
Lurker

HUB HEATER???? What is this guy talking about?

Reply to
Richard Noggin