Re: Diesel vs Gas 6.8 MPG and Tourqe

I've read the article from Motor Trend comparing gas to diesel. That was a

>good article. Now I need more specifics. > >I am considering purchasing a new truck. I currently own a 92 k2500 with a >454. It gets 10 MPG at it's best. Oversized tires and 4.10s...it pulls >anything up anything... but sucks the fuel. This truck is costing me >somewhere between 2500-3500 per year in maintenance and it's time to >consider retirement. I sure do love the truck, but it's been beat hard off >road. I pull an 18 foot ski boat in the summer and I hunt in the fall. >This is not my daily driver...I opted for a mini van with 22mpg >for the commutes. > >So I'm looking specifically at a Ford F250 for replacement. I'm considering >trading in both the truck and the minivan if the new truck can get similar >MPG to what I'm using in the mini van. Someone told me the 6.o l diesel >from Ford can do 22 MPG. Unfortunately I can't afford an 03. So I'm >looking at an 02 with a 7.3 liter PSD. It's an extended cab, 8 foot bed. >What kind of mileage will I get in that rig.

My buddy has an '02 F350 CC 42d long bed SRW 7.3 powerstroke and he says he's getting around 14 daily and around 16 highway.

On the other hand...I CAN afford an 03 in a v10 6.8 liter. I'll lose some >torque I know, but it's negligible for my purposes. But..what kind of >mileage would I expect from this rig? Would I have to keep my >minivan?

I've got an '02 350 CC 4wd long bed SRW with the V10. I keep a log for tax purposes and I see right about 10.5 mpg and have had tanks run as high as 14 mpg on long highway trips. I've got a 6" lift, 35" tires and 4.30 gears. I had no problem getting the speedo dialed back in after the tire change. Superlift's Truspeed module did the trick with about an hour's underhood/under dash time and about 20 mins on the road with my GPS unit.

What about maintenance? I know oil changes cost more since it takes like >750 gallons of oil...and then there's air filters and stuff...what do the >diesels actually cost per year in routine maintenance? Are we splitting >hairs here or is it quite a bit more than gas engines?

Oil cange for me runs right about $30. Genuine Ford filter and 6 quarts of Mobil1 is all it takes.

Thanks for any info. I hope to have a purchase made by end of day tomorrow! > >Nate >
Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I have a 99 F350 4X4 SC, SRW, 7.3L PSD I think 3.7 Rear end. Gets around

16.5 around town close to 20 on the road. Not even broke in yet. Only got
Reply to
news.verizon.net

Got an '03 Excursion here. 6.0 Diesel 4WD 3. 73 Gears 1st Tank got 17.7 MPG and I assume about 20 plus after break in. I drive V10's all day----day in day out-- and they don't have squat on the Diesel. I'll never go back to gas. My 2 cents!!

Reply to
<josburke

22mpg
Reply to
The Green's

Also forgot to add the electricity for the engine block heater. That is rated at 1KW, so if you have to use it a lot in the winter the cost of electricity might be noticible.

Reply to
Martin Rogoff