Shopping for truck, need answers.

I am looking for a Super Duty and am torn between the gas/diesel decision.

I like the idea of less maintenance with the gas, but I would like the torque of the diesel. I have a 28' boat rig, which weighs in around

11,000lbs. I don't tow more than 1/2 a mile to get the boat to the water, so the diesel is not really that big an issue. I like the fuel economy of the diesel, but am not sure of what the V10 Super Duty's get per gallon. I am looking at 1999 models and up. Does anyone have any suggestions/input? I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Ross

Bottom lines is this: If you can't afford the gas, you can't afford the truck. Having said that, I can tell you I get about 10mpg in my V10 powered '02 SD (4wd, crew cab, long bed, 35" tires, 4.30 gears)

My buddy gets about 13 in the same truck, but with the 7.3 diesel and

33" tires. I *THINK* he's got the 3.73 gears..
Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

The gas is not the issue. I currently have a 1990 Suburban 2500HD with a

7.4L, which gets around 8mpg around town. 10 sounds like a dream! I would be maintaining the stock configuration and would be looking to purchase a 2WD with higher gearing (3.73), so I am sure I'd be doing a little better than you in regards to economy. Anyone got something a bit more stock for comparison?

Cheers, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Ross

All of you guys should consider a Gear Vendors over/underdrive auxiliary transmission. A bit pricey but big improvement of mileage especially freeway and non towing settings around town.

Reply to
Mark

here's the link

Mark

I've got a 00 V10, SD, CC, MT, Shortbed, 430 gear. I average 13 mpg empty but have gotten as much as 17 mpg all highway (didnt exceed 64 mph though) but mostly 13 all around..

Reply to
Chris

Last time I checked diesel was a few cents higher than regular gas.

Reply to
Perry

True but the diesel usually uses less fuel per mile.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

"Andrew Ross" wrote in news:UzkBd.25446$8e5.13049@fed1read07:

I've got a '00 V10, 2WD, standard cab, 8 foot bed, 4 speed automatic with overdrive, 3.73 rearend. I get 12 MPG in town.

Reply to
Peter W. Crisler

Unfortunately, with my engine mods, I need to run premium. :)

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego