Re: Paint problems

I have a '98 Ford Explorer, 67,000 mi. The pain is beginning to flake

> off in certain areas of the vehicle. These are not stone chips, and > there is not rust at these spots. Is this a common problem with this > vehicle? The vehicle has been well maintained. Comments?

It's not unusual for paint to flake on any type vehicle anymore. Just look as you drive along. It all started in the 1980's when the EPA started telling them what they could use for paint.

Tom J who has had Ford, GM and Chrysler vehicles to flake

Reply to
Tom J

The mostly clear colors have the worst flaking problems. Silver, gold, metallic charcoal, stuff like that. I guess UV light goes through them and damages the base resin. The color and weather history is a better predictor than the brand of car.

Reply to
Joe