This damn Bronco II !

Replaced the timing chain and gears. Replaced the *real* problem which was a fly wheel with the center ripped out with a 3" diameter hole around the bolts. (Don't ask - 17 year old involved). I set the timing at 10° BTDC (this is a '91 with a 2.9L engine, auto tranny). It ran great for the test drive (less than 2 miles.) Girlfriend calls - sluggish as hell. It hesitates, bogs down, engine is missing . . . I guess I'll borrow a friend's scanner and check vacuum. All plug wires were replaced, rechecked the timing - still at 10° BTDC. No plug wires crossed and all you have to do is tap the key and it cranks up instantly!

Any experience or ideas about this POS? It's really becoming a thorn in my side. Get me to the point where it runs so she can trade it in . . . please!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Plugged cat?

Reply to
gw

Felt like it from a previous experience with another vehicle - but the exhaust system from the cat back was all replaced 3 months ago. Same feeling when starting off though . . . BTW - once I baby it up to about 35 mph - it will pick up and go but not smoothly.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Did you change the fuel filter?

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

I had a similar problem with a Mitsubishi(sp), two things were a problem with it 1) was the crankshaft. It was made of two different materials. The end was a softer metal (I did a search and found this to be a major problem with the engines.) and 2) the idle and timing was done with a wire ( I forget which, the book doesn't say, but there is a tag in the engine department) needing to be disconnected. When the wire was disconnteced the timing was way off, I adjusted it to the correct timing reconnected the wire and it did make a big difference. I had the horsepower back, shifted great etc. Don't know if this will help or not.

Reply to
Roger

Wasn't a problem prior to the incident but will do it anyway if for no other reason but scheduled maintenance. Thanks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Does it exhibit the symptoms when cold, or only after warmup? If only a problem when hot, I would next suspect a coil or ignition problem - maybe dropping spark when hot. I'm not familiar with the type of ignition for that year. Another post had a good idea, many electronically advanced ignitions have to be timed in service mode.

Bad O2 sensor could make it run pig rich, but usually not that much of a driveability problem.

Any coolant or oil loss? Smoke? Cracked head or gasket problem could do it, too.

Reply to
gw

"Jim Mc Namara" <

Now think about it, JIm...prior poster suggested plugged cat. Then you state can't be cause exhaust was replaced from cat back.... See any problem with that statement???? The cat is NOT replaced when they do cat back systems. It's just what they say.....from the cat back (and not including cat) IF (and I have no idea if that is the problem at all) it is a plugged cat, no amount of pipe changing AFTER the cat would matter.

Reply to
bomar

My miswording - I had the cat replaced as well.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara