Transmission

Hey all....I own a 2004 F150 Lariet Supercrew. I bought it new with 3 miles on the odometer. It has 24K on it and it's still under warranty. I don't know if this is a known issue or it's normal. My transmission will not hold on an upgrade. I have to ride the brake. It feels likeit's in neutral like a manual transmission. is this normal?

TIA

Reply to
Rick

My hunch is that the engine is not idling at the correct speed. This is usually because the IAC is dirty/sticking/not working. I suspect tha a/c compressor may give it a bit of a problem also. Also, the trans will not hold much of a hill anyway unless the engine is idling too fast which will overheat a trans in traffic PDQ. Have it checked for correct idle speed and any fault codes that may be present. Idle speed at low limits momentarily will not set a fault code. You need to have the idle speed determined. I tech with a good scanner can have the ECM run a full self test and report. If all appears to be well, clean the IAC anyway. BTW, the low mileage on your truck suggest it may be used either infrequently or for short trips either of which can lead to early fouling of the IAC. Also, you may want to check your owners manual for the trans fluid service interval. 24-30K miles is usual for trans service and should not be exceeded with these units. You will probably see the severe service classification but, keep in mind that some of the worst driving conditions are short trips around town. More folks fall into this group that realize.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

The bloody tranny isn't supposed to hold the vehicle on a grade, that's what the those things called brakes are for that you mentioned. Trying to hold it with the tranny and throttle just builds up a lot of heat in the tranny and shortens its life.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

That would be very true but, they do hold on light slopes if operating normally and an engine idle problem may or may not be indicated by this. Stopping and remaining at a stop are, after all, what the brakes are designed to do. Those drivers who use the throttle to hold on a hill are, in fact, abusing their trans in many cases without knowing it.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut