New F150 Owner

Hello to all! First time poster to the Ford Truck Group. My 18 year old son just bought an '02 F150 Sport, 2WD, 4.2L, 39K miles. Truck is in impeccable condition.

I'm a Chevy guy, but I have to say, this is a great truck! Rides nice, handles great, etc. A nice all around truck.

Since this is his first vehicle, I want him to take some pride in ownership, school him on service, oil changes, maintanence, etc. He saved the 10K to buy the truck, and I want him to know exactly what he needs to do to keep his truck for a long time.

Are there any known issues with these trucks that we should watch out for?

Thanks Rick

Reply to
CHEVYDRIVER37.AT.YAYHOO.COM

Must be a smart kid to save for/buy his own truck! Well raised I'd think. Maintenance is everything! There is no such thing as overmaintaining a vehicle. Get him to buy the Ford Truck Service Manual for his year/model. New from Helminc dot com or maybe used from eBay. Not a 'repair' manual from any other publisher.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Thanks Dave... Yeah, we make all our kids sock something away; and it gives 'em the pride in knowing they were able to do it on their own... I also made him get up on the truck and spend the money for a basic socket and wrench set, which he'll obviously keep till he's an old man.

I have Mitchell on Demand, we're just looking for known issues, like ya know, on the Chevy's - brake rotors, intake gaskets, clutch chatter, oil cooler lines, etc. - all the good stuff!

Thanks again Rick

Reply to
CHEVYDRIVER37.AT.YAYHOO.COM

Congrats on the ride. I bought a 99 F150 2WD 4.2L Auto from a friend of ours a couple of years ago for the daughter to drive. It now is approaching

112000 miles and still runs great. I was told that oh watch that motor, it will start leaking oil and be a problem, yea right. She drives it back and forth to college, 140 miles each way, no problemo!

Have him check out Ford Truck World, I think there is a board on there that covers the 4.2L, good place to see what others have to say. And now that he has a Ford, he will want to do all of the cheap mods. I have the bug bad for my 03 Supercrew.

Good luck, Ed

Reply to
Ed