V-10 Triton in a Club Wagon Box Truck problems

I posted on this before but need a few more details. I have a a 97 Ford Club Wagon that was converted into on of those Marathon Box Trucks with a lift gate. It has a problem with one of the cylinders. It was passing to much gas :) in the smog test, high hydro carbons

1200 when it should have been under 150. My question is: is there an easy way to determine what exactly the problem is without doing the a compression check? If you don't know it is very hard to get to anything in this thing in this vehicle. When you open the hood you barely see anything. And you can't get to anything. Is there any computer type of test gear that I can buy that will tell me if it is the valves or the perhaps something else like the lifters or ????

Thanks Uriah

Reply to
Uriah

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:29:01 -0700, Uriah rearranged some electrons to form:

How do you know it's "one of the cylinders"? Maybe it's a bad catalytic converter.

Is the 'check engine' light on?

You can drive it over to AutoZone and they will read out any codes that are set for free.

Reply to
David M

You have to put it on the machine to know for sure but my bet is, you have a dead coil on at least 1 cylinder.

Tom J been there & had that

Reply to
Tom J

When I went for a smog test that is when they told me it was a cylinder. #5 on the front right. They said they got low compression and put oil in the cylinder and it was still low so they suspect valves. This was a year ago. I just want to double check and was hoping that I could get some details from some type of new device. It doesn't have a check engine light on so I don't think I will get much from a code reader. Is there another device that can tell me more details about the problem or do I have to pull the plugs and do a manual compression check? I just want to be sure. If it is a valve I have to decide if it is going to be worth it to do the valves. It only has 90K on it but it is a 1997, but it only gets about 7 mpg and won't pass smog next year when I have to get another test. I think they passed it last time because they felt sorry for me that I was looking at a $3000.00 to get it to pass smog. Any thing out there that would help with this problem?

Reply to
Uriah

Doesn't have a check engine light? I think you have a bad bulb....all of the Ford v10's have one.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:01:16 -0400, Matt Macchiarolo rearranged some electrons to form:

I assumed he meant "the light wasn't on". Although, it's easy to see if the bulb is OK (just turn on the ignition without starting it).

Reply to
David M

It has a check engine light but is not on. It checks OK when you start the thing but then goes out and doesn't stay on. So I guess there are no codes in there to examine?

Reply to
Uriah