When to change tranny fluid?

Have a 2009 F150 with a 6-speed auto tranny. The manual says to change the fluid every 60,000 miles, but my dealer says since I live in Colorado that it should be changed every 30,000 miles. The excuse they gave was because of the mountain passes we have to pull. I wouldn't think pulling mountain passes would put that much of a strain on it considering there is no load. Kinda sounds like a scam to get me to change tranny fluid early, but it does say in the manual to check with your dealer. Don't want to screw-up my warranty, though.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter? Thanks.

Reply to
The Seabat

If you're changing the fluid within the guidelines of the service manual, I don't see where you would be voiding your warranty. I would suggest checking your fluid after 25-30K miles and see what it looks and smells like. If it's starting to brown and/or smell like it's on the verge of burnt, then I personally would go with the 30K recommendation. If it still has nice color and no offensive odor, I'd wait before going that route.

I change the fluid in my Escape every 3rd oil change (about 9K miles), but that's a totally different tranny than yours. Mine has no filter (just a screen for the big chunks), so I added an inline spin-on filter set up. I'm not changing all of it- just draining the pain and refilling it with new fluid, which works out to about 5 quarts out of a total 10 quarts capacity.

I use the suggested schedule for dusty areas since I live on the coast with lots of sand, clay, and salty air. May not have to, but hey, it can't hurt, and it's not all that expensive :-)

SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:22:48 -0600, The Seabat rearranged some electrons to say:

The manual should have a "severe service" schedule, which also defines the criteria for when it should be used. If you follow the owner's manual to the letter, then you can't go wrong.

Reply to
david