1987 Buick HELP!

Guys I really need experienced help! I bought a 1987 Buick Regal Ltd. Body and paint in great shape. Maybe I shouldn't have but I loved the car. I'm an old guy, we're allowed to reminice:-)) I put a tune up kit on it, but had an air leak in the intake manifold. I had the manifold pulled and new gaskets. It now runs great except, it doesn't want to upshift 'till it's doing 2000 rpm. It used to shift at about 1400 I think :-)) If I just lightly touch the gas it will run quite happily at 1900 without changing up unless I take my foot off the gas.The mechanick said it was nothing he did, even though it shifted great when I took it in. I did a transmission service, but no difference. Please help me guys, I'm retired and I don't have enough cash to take it to a transmission shop. I believe the transmission is a 204r? or

200r4? I think they only made them for a couple of years. The motor is a 305 v8. I couldn't see a modulator valve. I'm not entirely stupid about cars(But am getting that way) Please answer on the NG. Thanks in advance, Gerry.
Reply to
Gerry

My 1987 LeSabre(different engine/trans combo, but bear with me) does the same thing. Evidently you can either adjust the shift points on the transmission or as in my case, the thing was so loose after 100K+ miles that it was building up too much pressure and shifting at like 1200-1400 rpm. Very sloppy transmission, IMO.

Brand new transmission - shifts at about 2000rpm like it should, and the car is much more responsive.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

The problem is not the transmission. It is at the carburetor. There is a cable called a Throttle Value or T.V. cable. This affects all ranges of throttle shift points. Removing the intake the mechanic very well may have stretched, or loosened the adjustment on it.

The T.V. Cable looks like a detent/downshift/passing gear cable. Over Drive rear wheel drive transmissions all have T.V. cables.

I suggest you go to a Dealer Service Department, or a Independent shop that knows how to properly set them. Worst case they may have to replace the cable then set it.

Or if you really can't live with the car, I could always use a 87 Regal. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

If it uses a throttle valve cable from the throttle lever to the transmission , it may need adjusting. The ones I've seen you adjust by pushing in the tab and pulling the cable as tight as it goes, then open the throttle all the way so that it hits the stop in the transmission and pulls out the adjuster to the proper length..

Reply to
Robert Hancock