1989 Buick Regal

I just bought a 1989 Buick Regal last week. The drivers side door handle was broken when I purchased it and this morning the passenger side door handle broke. Any suggestions as to how to get in my car now?

Reply to
beige39138

Am I remembering correctly that the handles are up on the window post between front and rear side-glasses? Whichever! Use the trunk key, *maybe* some tin snips/metal shears, and a small child to access thru trunk and then back seat openings. After removing rear seatback, you may hafta enlarge an opening with metal cutters. Else, assuming power windows, raise hood from underneath the car--using your imagination as to how you reach the latch--get someone to show you how to "switch it on" from under the hood. Use either a puller wire or a pusher rod, either a coat hanger for pulling or a welding rod for a pusher. Wrap a rag(to protect paint) around a screw driver to use as a wedge to slowly spring the top of the door outwards to access the inside window switch with whichever wire/rod you need. Actually,

2 screw driver setups help to "walk" the top of the door open enough to gain access. Surprising how far it will spring before permanently deforming. If no p/w, maybe access door handle with the wire. Same access will reach power locks or manual lock in case doors are locked. HTH, s
Reply to
sdlomi2

Well, rather than taking the approach of fixing the door handles - as it appears you are not prone to do, then just continue the theme you've already set in place... Just leave the trunk open so you can climb in from the trunk.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Question: are we talking about a rear wheel drive "G" body Regal or are we talking about a front wheel drive "W" body Regal (what is the

4th character of the VIN Number - first one will be a 1 or 2, 2nd a G, 3rd a 4; 4th character is Body Series and will be either a "G" or a "W").

Reason I ask is that door handle breakage on the 2-door "W" body Regals is legendary. Bad design of placing door handles up on the upper door too far from the lock assembly. You'll find everyone and their grandmother selling aftermarket replacement door handles for these cars (not just Buicks but for equiv. Chevy, Pontiac and Oldsmobile models as well).

It will be damn near impossible to get into the car through the trunk unless you are willing to destroy the upper portion of the rear seat. Your best shot is to try what one of the other posters suggested and "spring" the upper door section and snag the inside door handle with a bent coat hanger. Done carefully you will not do permanent damage to the door nor break the door glass..

If this is a 4-door Regal with the small fixed window in the back door in addition to the regular window you could knock this window out, reach in and unlock the back door and enter the car. However, even though the glass is still available you'll play hell getting replacement weatherstrip to install a new window, so I'd only do this as a last resort.

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

Reply to
William H. Bowen

An '89 would definitely be a front wheel drive.

Reply to
80 Knight

I used to have one of these, and was able to work a clothes hanger wire down from the top of the door past the insulation and get the damned thing open.

At first, I jury rigged a fix on the handle/latch assembly, by riveting the broken parts back together. It held for a while, long enough to get a replacement part ordered from the dealer.

I loved many things about that car, but just about everything on it went to hell, except the engine...a 2.8 litre V6. It ate alternators, belts, water pumps, power steering pumps, brakes, and the 440T4 tranny.

Reply to
HLS