1999 Tahoe Power Window problem

Hi All,

I have a 1999 Tahoe that has developed a power window problem.

At this point, here is what has happened...

On Saturday, I started the vehicle and rolled down all 4 windows a few inches. Then, drove to the store and none of them would go up again. Drove home and still nothing. (FWIW, NONE of the switches seemed to work from any of the doors).

At this point, I figured it was the fuse. Pulled the fuse cover, found the right one (it happens to be some 30 amp silver thing)... touched it and about burned my fingers off it was so hot.

Came back a couple hours later and was able to remove the fuse. I swapped it with the other 30 amp that matched (iirc, it was labled as accessory). That other one seemed to control the interior lights and after swapping, the interior lights still worked.

At this point, I tunred the key so that the windows could be powered. Pressed the driver window up and it moved very sloooooowwwwlllyyyy. Whew, one of 4 is at least in the UP position. But after about 5 seconds, none of the others would work. So I played this game of wait a couple minutes, turn key, put up window, repeat. Until all four windows are up.

I then came back on Sunday to try this out. Started vehicle, pressed drivers down and it went down very slowly. And it stopped after about

5 seconds at only 1/2 way down. Shut off car, let things rest, same thing again to put it back up.

What in the heck is wrong here? Is it something I can deal with (I'm mechanically inclined)? Or am I better off taking it somewhere to get it fixed?

Reply to
tim.hoke

With that description I'd be looking for a grounding problem. The switches control the motors by reversing the ground in the motor(s).

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

You might be mechanically inclined but you need some electrical skills to go along with it. The voltage loss needs to be traced with a volt meter. You first need to determine if it is the hot side or the ground side. If you do not understand electrical circuits take it to someone who does as you could wind up blowing the airbags on today's cars....

Reply to
Woody

Check the fuse box first. Where there is heat there is a poor connection. The silver fuse thing may be a circuit breaker and not a fuse. A bad breaker will generate heat.

Reply to
Repairman