2002 Dodge Caravan 3.8 engine removal

The engine in my 2002 Dodge Caravan sounds like it has has some major damage inside the motor. I am a fairly good mechanic, but have never taken out a motor that sets sideways. I have a engine hoist and an engine stand with a standard garage ceiling height. Is it possible for me to remove this engine, so that I can see what is wrong with it mechanically? Is it possible to remove the oil pan without removing the engine? Is there a good manual that I could purchase, that would guide me through the removal and rebuild?

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
joejudkins

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:59:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net got out the hammer and chisel and etched in the wall:

Take it out and drop a crate 350 in there.

You'll be fine.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Hey Joe. Yes it is possible, but this is a GM newsgroup. You should be taking Dodge Caravan questions to a Dodge group.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I don't think you can get at the spark plugs let alone pull the back head off without having to drop the motor in those things!

My understanding is you 'drop' the motor. There's a relatively easy disconnect setup in the vehicle. You raise the vehicle, disconnect the motor/drivetrain, unbolt the whole from steering/motor/drivetrain assembly and lower it out of the vehicle.

Then again, I may be totally wrong...

Reply to
Mike Y

I agree, how to I find the Dodge Group?

Thyanks,

Joe

Mike Marlow wrote:

Reply to
joejudkins

How did you find this group? Pop open the newsgroups feature of your newsreader and enter dodge. You'll find several dodge groups. Google will reveal quite a bit as well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
jgassaway