CD-radio vs. cassette-radio

The cassette player on the Blaupunkt radio-cassette in my Nissan Micra has packed up. Looking in Halfords, I see that entry level CD-radios are cheaper than cassette-radios nowadays.

Would the panel recommend a CD-radio? Are they non-skip? Are CDs bulkier to store? Are CD-radios more liable to get nicked?

I've got about 20 CDs compared to a 100 cassettes. But CDs have definitely taken over the market -- newspapers are giving them away.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

CDs very rarely skip unless you bottom out the suspension. CDs are smaller than tapes. CD players are obviously more nickable.

Reply to
Doki

For home use, cassettes are shit and CDs aren't. Then the decision becomes easy - use the same as what you use at home, ie CDs. Saved me the bother of trying to record all my favourite music onto tape before I went away on holiday!

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (bruce phipps) contains these words:

Many copy-protected audio CDs don't play on car CD players.

Reply to
Guy King

Which ones are these? FWIW, if I came across one, I'd just download whatever tools I needed to bypass the copy protection, and make my own unprotected copy...

Reply to
Doki

The message from "Doki" contains these words:

Guy King

Depends what you want to listen to. I regularly drive for over an hour and like to listen to radio comedy/drama programmes that I've taped earlier in the week. If I put them onto CD it'd cost a fortune, but on tape I can record over them when I've heard them.

David.

Reply to
David Linley

comedy/drama

Blank CDs 20p a go?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

CDRWs buggerallp a go? And there are car CD players that will play CDRWs. That said, not many people possess standalone CDRW recorders at home, and recording on a PC is a bit of a faff.

Reply to
Doki

Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@spamtroNspidar.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

No, it isn't that bad.

Source it from "Listen Again" on the Beeb's website ("radio comedy/drama" implies BBC R4 or BBC 7, very little chance of commercial radio), and use something like TotalRecorder to save the Real stream to WAV (and/or MP3), which can then be burned onto CD in seconds.

It's easier than remembering to be in when the program's on and start the tape, as you can listen and record any time over the next week. It's also far, far easier to then build up a library of the ones you *really* liked.

TBF to David, though, Listen Again on pikeyband is seriously unpleasant, and his posting IP resolves back to a dial-up pool. Still, FM cards for PCs aren't *that* expensive, or he can plug his PCs mic socket to the output from any FM receiver simply enough.

MP3/CD-R car stereos seem to me to be extremely good value.

Reply to
Adrian

Is Real horribly compressed or is it decent quality? If I were recording the radio, I'd be tempted to get a standalone CDRW machine and wire it up to my tuner, but then I'm picky and like new toys :).

Yep.

Reply to
Doki

unprotected

Interesting stuff. The website mentions that Celine Dion CDs have particular problems, apparently they stop iMacs working, which demonstrates good taste if nothing else :o)

Reply to
Carl Bowman

Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@spamtroNspidar.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's more than adequate for the car environment - especially for speech - and seems to be better than all bar the very best FM reception on all bar the very best FM receivers.

It won't help you record it after you've missed the initial broadcast (or - as is more normal for me - thought "bloody hell, this sounds interesting, wish I'd heard the start") as Listen Again does...

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "Carl Bowman" contains these words:

"My heart will go on"...but your Mac won't?

Not being a follower of popular beat combos it took a while to realise that the song wasn't called "My heart will goon" - 'cos that's what the local poster said after the posterputtingupbloke had overlapped a couple of sheets.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Somebody beating her until she stopped singing would certainly be popular.

Reply to
Adrian

Yes, I know. Home-wise I am slowly moving to CD. And I suppose MP3s can be "burned" to a CD quite easily. But I have a lot of old stuff on cassette, from my 20s when I used to actually buy a lot of music. Nowadays, I feel a little uncomfortable venturing into record shops. Its all extremely loud and confusing for an old duffer like me. Apparently vinyl is back in fashion!

Bruce

Reply to
bruce phipps

Reply to
bruce phipps

The message from bruce snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (bruce phipps) contains these words:

Just wait till M&S open their S&M department.

Reply to
Guy King

Get a radio/CD with MP3 playback. Download a backup of the tapes you have of the internet and burn them to CD. Far to much hassle trying to copy the tapes to CD.

Peter Hill

On 18-Aug-04 10:44:51, Guy King said

I've not come across that yet, but just as important, not all car CD's support CD-Rs, so that's worth checking before you buy.

My tapes started acting up a year or two ago. so I just gave up on them and went for CD in the car. I've not regretted it, and you can find most of those old tracks somewhere if you look - and have broadband. :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring