88 Beretta Speedo

The speedo works intermittently. I replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor with no change. Reseated the cluster and pushed on the wires to the ECM, no change. Tapping on the dash and cluster makes no difference or hitting bumps in the road. No malfunction codes.

It may be my iminagination but I thought I felt the trans jerk a bit at highway speeds when the speedo would quit. Could that be the cumputer kicking out the overdrive because the speedo isn't working? When I had the VSS off, I moved the gear inside the trans and there is no slack but it sure is wobbly from side to side. Is that normal? Any other suggestions to try?

I just bought this car and it was seldom driven and not know of any accidents. Thanks for reading.

Reply to
Steve

Update for anyone interested. It turned out to be the ECM. $300 at Chevy dealer.....OUCH!!!!

Reply to
Steve